Monday, January 31, 2022

Character Challenge 2022 31: Ghon Davtell, Other 3 terms

I've neglected to link the other challenges this year as I did last year. As a note, the Tardis Captain has posted those entries here. While I've been pretty limited to the games I actually play or at least have the rules for, if I do this again next year I may try & branch out a bit. Though I still need to finish this challenge, then my wrap up of the challenge within a challenge: connect all the same game system characters together. There has been a bit of that in each post. Hopefully I'll manage to pull it all together. I am working on a Windemere publication (purely for myself, though I'll post access to the PDF probably). Same for the high port: I'd like to see if I can make something that I can actually use in a game at some point, versus just making stuff up for me. Not that there is anything wrong with that: this is my entertainment. I'd just like to share a bit, as I get a lot of inspiration and stuff from all the kind people who share their works and worlds. And I have the drives full of PDFs and art to show for it!

Anyway, our last character. Being primarily a Traveller blog (with the primarily meaning hopefully at least 50%!) I'll finish on a Traveller character. 

Raw stats start as 573782. And I'll permit myself to reroll 1 stat, so end up with 578782. A mostly average, if a bit weak, character, with very low social ranking. A 1/1 makes it a human male. What sort of career can someone on the bottom of the social rankings get into? There is, of course, the classic Other character, or a rogue by any other name. Then there are bounty hunters, and oddly I have a career for fringe marketeer. That alone could be something I've not done yet, and he could be a sleazy salesperson for the Documat.

But, as I don't recall doing an Other character (aka Han Solo really), I'll try that. Also going with the pseudo-rule as there are no ranks and promotions as with the Scouts, they will get 2 skills per term.

Term 1

5+ to survive and I roll a 5. There were some tough scrapes the last few years, but we got through it. Going to rotate through the tables, so personal gives us +1 dexterity for a UWP of 588782. We also pick up Bribery-1. Learning how to grease palms.

Term 2

A 7 survival is much better, so we must be learning! Electronic-1 and the elusive Jack-of-Trades-1. Box cars on re-enlistment means we'll press on.
Term 3
An 8 on survival. Apparently this Other is picking up some good skills and learning to survive. Brawling-1 (is this just another name for Melee? Probably.) and then another Brawling-2. Nothing like your traditional bar fight! I can see this character going head-to-head with Lady Rowen. In fact - perhaps how they met, training. Making re-enlistment, we'll do another term.

Term 3

Survive on an 11 - getting easier and easier! Mechanical-1 and Electronics-2. Seems to me he deals in hardware of some sort, a tinkerer. Other does not need to be your rogue type of character, though they do pick up fighting skills, possibly forgery. But with the skills this one has picked up I can see Other as just something not fitting the other 5 mostly military-style careers. He may have worked at a repair ship and joined the fight club because he was bored. Or he was a thief, an expert at picking electronic locks. 

Think we'll stop here (a 7 on the re-enlistment roll means he does not have to continue). 

Mustering out

3 rolls. We'll start with cash and see how that plays out. A 6 for Cr60,000. Enough to last a good chunk of time (especially at his social ranking: Cepheus plugs his monthly expenses at Cr200 for starvation level, Cr500/month for sustenance level), so we'll try the benefits tables: +1 intelligence, +1 education. Leaving our UWP at 588892. So, a bit above average in intelligence and education, but not much. That low social rank is going to be interesting: perhaps he has an accent that marks him as being from "the other side of the tracks". And huh - where does phrase even come from? From quora:
The etymology is not entirely clear. The common explanation is that in the old days of steam locomotives, the wind would tend to blow the soot to one side of the tracks. The sootier side would then become the poorer / industrialized neighborhood.

We'll have him from a poor world. And while from the other side of the oxygen lines, that does not necessarily make him a criminal element. In fact, I sort of like the idea that he is a general fix-it guy, used to working in small shops and places like that. Mostly dealing with repairing electronic or mechanical devices, and with that JoT skill, able to scrounge together things like Macgyver.

Ghon Davtell, Other 3 terms

 588892 age 30, Cr60,000

Electronics-2, Brawling-2, Mechanical-1, Jack-of-Trades-1, Bribery-1

Growing up on the poor Hell-world of Louzy, Ghon worked for his family business, repairing equipment for the miners. Often using Sternmetal Horizon's cast-off equipment, Ghon became quite adept at scrounging, and when necessary, bribing, to get the pieces he needed to fix the equipment. He is never without a tool belt and a thick jacket from a grateful miner who could not afford the repairs. There were times when he had to fight over junkyard scraps when bribery or scrounging did not work out for him.

Ghon got noticed by Sternmetal, who hired him on a contract basis. A few years of moving ship to ship got wearisome, even though the environment was always better than the barely filtered air and heat of his family's small apartment and shop. While the living was easier and safer than home on Louzy, and he managed to get his certifications and additional qualifications, he grew weary of changing ships at Sternmetal's bidding. He is currently doing odds and ends for the high port, living with a couple of roommates near the docks. He has managed to patch the failing links for Lady Aidy's ship to station system. He is friends with several of the inhabitants of Red's Quarters. He sometimes visits the station gym and spars, and has had some practice fights with Lady Rowen.

he is a cheerful young man, whistling while he works. Though small from a calory-deficit early childhood, 


And this wraps up the January challenge! A character a day, a post a day with only 1 cheat day. And in fact, I posted twice in one day as I had time and thought a random cow list is funny. 

I'll take a bit of time off, but will try and get my challenge in a challenge completed and somehow bring them all together. The Windemere PDF does have TFT character sheets in there, along with the more full descriptions in the character section. May add the links for the blog posts in that PDF.



No comments: