Tuesday, January 04, 2022

Character Challenge 2022 4: Verner Barrick aka The Doorman

Playing a Microlite Costumes game and this was the 60 point character I developed. First, he is a bit of a stoner/flower child as this takes place in 1985 in a slightly alternative Earth, in NYC. Not sure why all the games we've played recently seem to take place in NYC, but there you go.

Microlite Costumes uses a point buy system. It can be fast (like Classic Traveller) once you do it a few times. Using my 60 points, I started with the main power I wanted, a sort of Bugs Bunny-like portable hole. There was no exact match, so we combined the teleportation and phasing and made it a 30 point power. I can create up to 3 "holes" within visual range. They will last 60 seconds or until I cut them off. So, no opening doors into places I can't see (though if there is a window, I can see the inside at least).

Then I bumped up a bit of natural body armor for 6 points, giving me 2 points of damage reduction.

Finally, bumped my stats up to get to the 60 points. Stock average humans are 10 points:

  • Strength is 14
  • Dexterity is 21 (I wanted to be able to do flips and things through my portable holes 😁 )
  • Mind is 16 (figured it took a bit of concentration, and I like to play smart characters generally. To make up for any personal deficiencies I suppose)
And done - Microlite is a micro-game in terms of basic stats and things. And oddly, a LOT like The Fantasy Trip, just different mechanics for combat really, and we get to use d20s. Of course, there are more details such as background. He's a guitar playing busker who really likes Dire Straits and lives in the 3rd box on the left in that alley over there. Oddly another of the players is also a very badly damaged street person (who eats a LOT), and another is a kind-hearted soul who we met at the soup kitchen, and has taken the other in. Or rather, has his parents looking after her. Our first session brought in the final player into the mesh.  We were about to face the first major challenge and we called it a session (I am the choke point for this group: I get up at 4:30am or so and get to bed earlier than everyone else. I need my beauty sleep!) We left on the classic cliff-hanger. It will be interesting to see how we gel as a group in combat.

But as to his actual background, he is literally a blank slate. He really has no idea who he is beyond his name, guitar playing skills and a very relaxed attitude towards the universe. I'm actually leaving that blank to confer with the game master: there could be some story element we can add that works in his universe. While nothing like the other player character has apparently experienced, there could be something in his background that is blocking any memory of who he is. Heck - maybe he is a reincarnation of Space Cat! He gets killed, and comes back as the cat next game. Perhaps he alternates lives: human, cat, human, cat. And human can't remember past lives. Anyway, me and my odd desire to somehow link all my game characters. I like having character hooks in the game world like that. The other street person has a bad background - from appearances she has been experimented on or something. She is also a 7 or 8 year old mind in an early 20s body, so that is disconcerting at times. The player is doing really well at channeling his inner 8-year-old I think!

Verner is in his mid-20s, scruffy looking. I hunted around and found an image I liked, so sort of sprung the rest of the character from that. 

I re-used my Costumes character sheet from Space Cat. Another player made it form-fillable, which I've not looked at to see. I just use Publisher to make this sort of thing up as I go along.

No comments: