Having a bit more time on a Saturday, I'll pull out my Apex book and see about rolling up a dinosaur rider. I am goign to restrict to change some of the things so that he will fit your Saturday morning cowboy show, albeit with dinosaurs!
First, we have the traditional attribute scores of strength, intelligence, wisdom, constitution, dexterity and charisma. We roll 4d6 and take the top 3, so that we start off with a more heroic character. In general:
- 3 - 6: below average (-1 / -5% bonus for skills and checks using this attribute)
- 7-14: average
- 15-18: above average (+1 / +5% bonus for skills and checks using this attribute)
Our cowpoke starts with:
- Strength: 14. Physical power is in the average range, though at the top of that.
- Intelligence: 6 (-1) (wow, a few ones on that roll. so dumb as a post!) IQ, reasoning and the ability to solve puzzles. Let's leave him with the kid's 24-piece puzzle set instead of the 1000-piece set.
- Wisdom: 17 (+1). Insight, perception and good judgement. He is an excellent judge of character and will rarely be surprised.
- Constitution: 13. The health and endurance of a character.
- Dexterity: 14. Coordination and quickness.
- Charisma: 13. The character's leadership ability.
- Hit points are constitution + 2, for 15
- Saving throw: 12
- Lore: 1