Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Character 12 of 31: Classic Other

Madame Riho Zoto, Knightess

74A68B    age at death 32
Grav-Vehicle-1, Jack-of-Trades-1, Forgery-1, Blade-1

Riho was born and raised on Poseidon in the Imperium, a rich and spoiled niece of the local Imperial Count. When she failed to get into the Imperial Navy at 18, she went off the waves as per the local vernacular: she spent all her time racing speeders and hanging out with what her Aunt, the Countess, called the riff-raff. She managed to get good at just about everything she turned her aristocratic hand to, or at least basically able to do a bit of everything. She started forging the pink slips when racing for the pinks with her friends, which eventually managed to kill her when she was murdered by someone she cheated out of a very expensive speeder.
Riho Zoto in her racing gear

How you may meet Riho

She does not have to be on Poseidon when you see this young woman at the race tracks, either driving or helping a crew. She is also a person "who people know" can help with minor forgeries and miscellaneous jobs about the place. 

This was my 3rd attempt to get a character to survive in the classic "I can die in character generation" process today. The first two died on the very first term. The Imperium is a very tough place! The third also died but we did make it to the 4th term. So she is alive to be used as an NPC until her hopefully glorious death. Or perhaps not so glorious as she had a fall from grace.

My initial rolls for this character were:

  • Strength 7
  • Dexterity 4
  • Endurance 9
  • Intelligence 6
  • Education 8
  • Social 12 (Baroness)
  • Gender 6 - a woman (note this is not in the rules, just my random determination for gender)
I thought finally, we can get a Naval character from Book 1! She failed with a 2 on trying to get into the Navy. Rolling the draft, a 6 gives us other: she was a drifter, a rogue, a ne'er do well apparently after failing to get into the Navy. Her heart was broken and she took to the streets. Except with her social class, it was more the yellow brick road of streets.

Term 1, Other

Her first term, the survival roll was passed with a 5. Trying to see if I can improve her horrible dexterity, I roll on the personal skills table: 6, -1 to social. Yes, she has dropped from a Baroness to a Knightess now. While still running in higher circles, they are not as lofty as they once were. Her second roll I use the service skills table, and pick up a vehicle skill. She loves racing those grav speeders! So now we have: UPP 74968B Grav Vehicle-1. 

Term 2, Other

Rolling a 7, she readily survives term 2, and daring the personal table I get a 3, for +1 End. This is not the stat I was looking for. I also roll on the advanced education table as she has an education of 8+, and get JoT. She is is picking up a wide variety of skills and can fake just about anything now. 
UPP 74A68B Grav Vehicle-1, Jack-of-Trades-1

Term 3, Other

Surviving with an 8, I'll try again in the personal table and rolling a 4, she picks up Blade-1. The other advanced education table gives is a 6 for Forgery. She could be forging pink slips for her addiction to the street speeder racing! Or is that air racing?
UPP 74A68B Grav Vehicle-1, Jack-of-Trade-1, Blade-1, Forgery-1.

Term4, Other

Determined to get my dexterity up, I fail the survival roll with a 2. 

Traveller Races

Finally starting on figuring a random method to determine which race to roll up as well. As I don't have the books in physical print for all the major races, but do in electronic form via the Classic Taveller CD (and others), I may allow myself to generate a K'kree, Hiver or Droyne, but I'd prefer to use only the stuff I have physical books for.

I think 2 rolls, first to determine major vs minor race on 1d6:  1-5 = Major, 6 = Minor.

The major races will be more of a bell curve via a 2d6 roll. I'll make it really unlikely to generate a character I don't have a book for (though I seem to recall reading about generating K'Kree -  I forgot! I have the Classic reprint of alien modules for Aslan, K'kree, Vargr and Zhodani! That's where I was reading about K'kree.) That was one of the things that sparked my interest in getting back into Traveller! I may have to look at the FFE site & see if other actual reprints are still available. 

And they have a deal where you can get both the alien reprints for $30 or one each at $30. I may have to get the pair and give one to someone who wants to play Traveller. We'll see - I have it all electronically but just prefer "real" books.
  • 2: K'Kree
  • 3-4: Vargr
  • 6-9: Human (reroll for branch?)
  • 8-9: Aslan
  • 10-11: Droyne
  • 12: Hiver
Human roll on 1d6:
  • 1 = Zhodani
  • 2-5 = Imperial (even for Vilani, odd is more generic human stock)
  • 6 = Solomani
Minor races on 1d6 for rules I do have:
  • 1 Ael Yael (one of the Journals has this)
  • 2-3 Virushii (again, one of the journals has this)
  • 4-5 Bwap (generally run through normal character development)
  • 6 hmm, need to look through my books, I know I've another somewhere, maybe those floating things in gas giants. Or an uplifted dolphin?
I do have a few GURPS books that have some interesting aliens, but I've never generated a GURPS character and never played, so sadly will leave those out. The GURPS books are just great chrome though: well thought out books I use as tool boxes to plunder fun things.

I also have the RPG Suite, and recently updated to have the Bwaps and a fuller Aslan characters generated. I am not going to use that here as, per Michael Thompson, I want these hand-rolled (or picked). I'll have to do a post where I maybe review that system.




5 comments:

Baron Greystone said...

That's a neat character! You've left out one human variant from CT though, Darriens.

Craig Oliver said...

Thanks! She was fun to roll up as well.

I do not have that book in physical form, though I do on the CD (and in my cloud drives so available wherever I am :) ). I've never seemed to want to play a Darrian for whatever reason.

I may expand out that list and add Darrian, but that would be a weekend char-gen as it will take me longer as I am not familiar with that process. Though I admit I "cheat" and try to stock up on the weekends - I never know what sort of time I'll have during the week.

NotASnark said...

Interesting idea to roll the species as well as everything else. My own character-a-day attempt for Traveller is here:

https://www.notasnark.net/traveller/goldenage/characters/index

And, yeah, actually doing one a day is difficult with work commitments. I think it's fine prepping some ahead of time.

Craig Oliver said...

NotASnark: You do have some really interesting characters. As with the other I've been reading, my next (and it is a ways off) Traveller game now has a surplus of NPCs with interesting backgrounds and histories - things I never would have come up on my own. I would have commented on your site but could not find a place to leave comments. But I could be missing the obvious as I so often do.

NotASnark said...

I've been putting them on my wiki rather than a blog, since they're probably more useful (and easier to find) that way as a long term resource, so no commenting ability.