Monday, January 04, 2021

Character Challenge 4 of 31: The Fantasy Trip Goblin Wizard

Having been sick over the weekend (yay new year! even got a Covid test since the fever and chills was most unpleasant. It was negative so thinking just some 24 hour thing) I did not go to the gym this morning as I usually before work. But I did manage character!

Switching gears to the Fantasy Trip. There is a section in the rule book for quick character generation I've never used, and thought it may be a good time to try that.

Here are the rolls: we first roll 1d6 to determine if we're going to have a wizard or a hero. I roll a 1, so wizard it is. Then rolling a 2 I have a martial wizard, and that means I need to have my IQ > 11.  Then rolling on the optional unusual wizard feature, I roll 4 on 2d6 for a country wizard, and picking from the 4 skills I choose animal handling (which is 2 IQ points, and for a wizard, 4!) and driver (taking another 2 IQ points).

So we have a martial wizard with a country background. Rolling 3d6 I roll a six, giving me a goblin wizard. Oddly in the 2 games I've run there is always someone picking a goblin wizard. I am not sure why....

Our country Goblin wizard rolls on the motivation table using 3d6. Getting a 13, his primary goal is a desire for wealth. Rolling again for a 2ary motivation, a 12 gives is a desire for adventure. Looting labyrinths is one way of getting both wealth and adventure, so this is a perfect combination.

There are more optional rolls on 2d6, where 12 is really good and 2 is really bad. This Goblin comes out with:

  • 11 for appearance. A very good looking Goblin!
  • 8 for bravery. Around average, not too brave but not a coward either.
  • 5 for honesty. In TFT Goblins are scrupulously honest but to the letter, not the spirit. So our wizard will be very careful with his wording.
  • 6 for his mood, so a bit grumpy at times. 
Now we need to determine his stats. Goblins start with ST 6, DX 8 and IQ 10. We have 8 additional points to spread around, and need to keep in mind he is supposed to be a martial wizard. I'll bump his ST to 8, DX to 12 and IQ to 12. This gives him at least a 50/50 chance of being able to cast a spell and meets the IQ requirement for the martial wizard. 

This only gives him 2 points left for his initial spells. I give him staff (every wizard should have the staff spell - later on it becomes a potent weapon, and with mana, a good battery for spell casting) and summon wolf. The wolf can do the attacking, though he won't be able to maintain that spell too long until he picks up more ST or a power stone.

Edit: must have been too early: he has 6 points for spells. I'll see about a correction later today!
Edit 2, later that day: having 6 points to spend on spells we pick up Staff II / manastaff, meaning that Droink can now charge up his staff with up to his IQ using experience points. Of course, it takes 200XP for just 1 point of mana, but after that initial charge it becomes a bit faster (and I missed this rule when playing the game earlier!) See page 148 in the rules for that. He also took a 3 hex fire spell, illusion and staff to snake. So now our Goblin mage is a bit more fearsome! Note that short term he gets more bang by increasing his ST with the 1st 50XP, but eventually he should start putting some of that XP to his staff.

An advantage of The Fantasy Trip is that character generation is really fast. Particularly useful as beginning characters are also easy to kill. 

I also realized while Droink has some characteristics, I've not done so for previous character generations. I'll see if I can add some additional attitudes and whatnot to make the character stand out more. 

But for Droink, we have a good looking (for a Goblin) wizard who prizes both money and adventure. Though a bit dour, and perhaps a bit lacking in scruples, he seems to both enjoy being with animals and knows how to drive carts and ride large (3 hex or larger) animals. As Goblins seem to enjoy riding wolves, he has the summon wolf spell but more for attacking than for riding, at least early on.


And in looking at Alesplitter's blog, he added a link to previous entries (and did a Gamma World character - would love to play Gamma World sometime!)

And other blogs as well (copy paste from another blog so may not be up to date). Green Sage is doing Mongoose Traveller looks like, so I may have to snag some of those for NPCs :) 

Alesmiter today and yesterday
TardisCaptain's Blog of Holding yesterday
Green Sage Library today and yesterday
And the one that started this for me is Traveller Adventures and is doing a much better job of tracking who is doing what.



2 comments:

Michael Thompson said...

Thanks for the comment, but your links are a bit off.

Craig Oliver said...

I've decided just to link to the top level of the blogs and copy/paste to avoid linkage errors (unless I have one still!). And your High Guard character encouraged me to get my Book 4 out to see about a mercenary character. Then I'll I'll do a book 5 High Guard, then a Book 6 Scout, then a book 7 Merchant (though I only have book 7 on the Classic CD - Scouts was the last "core" book I picked up as I sort of stopped gaming for 20 some years, played a year, then it was another decade before I found COTI and had time. And somehow I kept all my Traveller stuff over the years)