Saturday, January 16, 2021

Character 16 of 31: The Fantasy Trip Gorilla Bard

I do get a lot of Kickstarter 'zines (they are relatively inexpensive even though I usually get the print option as I like real paper, and they are just easier to read). I get them because I like to support others imagination and it gives me perspectives outside what I may come up with. As I've mentioned way too many times already, that's one of the reasons I really like Traveller's character generation: it can take you into a character you never would have thought of before. One 'zine is full of interesting and oddball characters, aptly named Characters. It is from Fish in the Pot which is a neat little game company that puts out all sorts of fun things. They have a presence on itch.io.  Obviously not everyone's cup of tea as they are not your typical or traditional characters, and some may be more gender-fluid than a lot of people may be comfortable with. As I generally run a PG-13 game, it really does not matter to me. There are just some fun characters in there and a lot of imagination. In fact, Rennor came from this very book. 

There are 8 front and back pages. so an 8d gives me page 3, and even for a d2 gives me the 1st page. There are 6 characters listed there, so 1d6 for 6 gives me:

Gustus

Gustus is an awakened Gorilla in spectacles and a long jacket. He earns his living playing honky tonk lap steel and is known in several towns as Stomp-Grass Gus. Gus likes to spin quirky observations into rhythmic monologues when things get quiet and it does not take him long to start plucking the steel in support of his yarn. Gustus is a strict vegan, but never brings that fact up in conversation. Gustus is a calming spirit and a welcome companion. Gustus takes to fellow musicians and storytellers and is always excited to work out riffs and share the stage.

How you may meet Gustus

He often travels about the land, playing songs for his room and board. He does love his peary and other fruity drinks. He is rarely ruffled and will want to play with other musicians. He knows he is a large Gorilla, and has hired out as show muscle but with the firm caveat that he will only fight under duress. Usually having a 500+ pound Gorilla standing behind you is enough to make the strongest warrior have second thoughts. Even if that gorilla is wearing spectacles. But he much prefers eating a salad in the corner of the tavern and telling and listening to tales so he can spin out some new ballads. 

Now the fantasy trip does not have gorillas in the main book (or at least not that I found), but the Deck Of Destiny had a lot of creature cards, including a great ape. We'll base Gustus on that as the great ape is as big as a gorilla.

ST: 20    DX: 12    IQ: 9    MA: 10
I do want him to be able to defend himself, though few would go against the Gorilla! But we'll make it thrown weapons as rocks are always handy. Definitely not your into 32 point character, but hey, a Gorilla! And page 122 indicates he would do 1d+1 damage when he takes a swing at you, and if he were a fighter it would be 1d+, 2. However, he has rarely fought. I was thinking about making another point of protection for his thick fur.

Skills: Thrown Weapons (2), Bard (2), Climbing (1), Toughness x 2 (4)

You know, it is really hard to find a picture of a Gorilla Bard...closest I could find.




1 comment: