Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Character 26 of 31: Traveller Navy

Sir Lase Willy

89646B Petty Officer 3rd Class, MCUF, MCG, Imperial Navy, Engineering, inactive, age 27

Engineering-3, Vacc Suit-1, Ship's Boat-1, Mechanical-1, Electronics-1, Forward Observer-1
Cr50,000, High Passage

His father the Imperial Knight of Munoch, Lase did not want to stay on what he considered the backend of nowhere. On his 18th birthday he applied to the Imperial Navy, and getting in, was shipped to Lebensraum to start his Naval career. Not wanting to trade on the family name, Sir Willy entered the Engineering branch as a a Spacehand Recruit. Over the next few years, he was in the heat of battle, spending 3 years in various strike offenses as far as the Carrillian Assembly. He earning a MCG when the ship he was on took a direct hit, and he saved the section chief and crew mates. He learned to pilot the shuttles, and earned a MCUF when successfully piloting through the battlefield with a transfer crew. Continuing in the Navy, Sir Willy was sent to Engineering School as well as additional training, making him an expert Engineer. Sadly, he was grievously wounded during a siege operation, and after medical rehab, decided the Navy life was no longer what he wanted. Given his mustering pay and a high passage ticket, Sir Lase Willy is ready for the next phase of his life.

A tall, dark haired man, Sir Lase speaks with an upper class accent, is easily distracted and enjoys watching holo-sports. Though technically a knight via his father, he rarely uses his title, preferring to "get by on my own word and deeds" as he likes to say. However, he can be seen as overbearing at times, expecting things to be done in a certain way. This comes from his family as well as Imperial Navy training. Stubborn, once he takes a stance, it is near impossible to change his mind.

How you may meet Sir Lase Willy

He would make an excellent engineer for any ship. He could be a passenger going somewhere, and fully expecting high passage to mean high passage. He may still have contacts at the Navy, and some Imperial Nobility. He could be the victim of a scam to help relieve him of his Cr50,000.



  • Strength: 7
  • Dexterity: 9
  • Endurance: 6
  • Intelligence: 4
  • Education: 6
  • Social: 11
  • gender: 5, male
Decided to try for another Navy character. Not having a good intelligence or education, I figured he'd go straight into the Navy. He applied for the Imperial Navy and succeeded, rolling the 9 minimum. Rolling on the branch, I rolled a 5, then -2 for the Imperial Navy and he is in the Engineering branch.

Term 1: Training, Strike! (18-22)

Year 1: Basic and Advanced Training
  • Branch: 3->5 - Vacc Suit-1
  • Branch: 5->7 - Engineering-1
Year 2: Strike!
He survives with a roll of 10, and gets decorated with another roll of 10. He passed muster to get promoted from E1 Spacehand Recruit to E2 Spacehand Apprentice. Succeeding with an 11 for skills:
  • Navy Life: 2 = +1 strength UPP 89646B
  • MCG (Medal for Conspicuous Gallantry)
  • Promoted to E2 Spacehand Apprentice
Year 3: Strike!
Rolling 1d6 for a 4, I re-roll for the assignment and a 5 gives me another year of strike. Survive with a 10, but there were no decorations with a 3, and passed over for advancement with a 5. And no new skills were learned with a 4. For a Naval Engineer in a strike rotation, he must have had a quiet posting!

Year 4: Strike!
The 1d6 gave me a 6, so he is again in the middle of a strike assignment. Compared to my last Naval character, this guy has already seen more action than she did in multiple terms. He survives with a 7, a 7 gives him a MCUF decoration, an 8 promotes him to E3 Able Spacehand, and a 9 for skills was succesful.
  • Shipboard Life: 5 = Ship's Boat-1
  • MCUF (Meritorious Conduct Under Fire)
  • Promoted to E3 Able Spacehand
He makes his re-enlistment roll with an 8.

Term 2 (22-26)

Year 1: Siege
Deciding to be a bit daring, I'll take a -2 on my survival roll. Rolling an 11 -2 so I survive and get to add 2 to my decoration roll. However, a 3 +2 for a 5 means no decoration. I miss my promotion roll with a 6, and no skills were learned with a 6 as well. Must have been way at the back of the siege.
Year 2: Patrol
As this is an even easier survival roll, I opt for a -3: 8 -3 = 5 and I barely survive. A 5 + 3 for an 8 still misses the decoration roll, I flub the promotion with a 7, and a 12 grants me a skill roll.
  • Engineering Branch: 5 +2 = Engineering-2
Year 3 - Special Duty: Engineering School
Rolling a 5, 6, 1, 6 I gain:
  • Mechanical-1
  • Electronics-1
  • Engineering-3
Year 4: Training
No survival or decoration roll, and a 10 for promotion gets me to E4, Petty Officer 3rd Class. A successful skill roll of 9.
  • Shore Duty: 3 = Forward Observer-1
  • Promotion: E4 Petty Office 3rd Class

Term 3 (26-30) Still in the Navy and probably for life

Year 1: Patrol
Taking a -3 for my survival, 7-3 = 4, and needing a 4, I live! Decoration roll 3+3 = 6, no decoration. A 5 yields no new skills.
Year 2: Siege
The 1d6 pf 4 means I roll again, and a 4 gives me another siege tour of duty. I'll take a -2 for survival, and then I failed: 5-2 = 3 and I needed a 4. So injured or dead, and I'll go with injured and muster him out.

Mustering Out

  • Cash: 5 = Cr50,000
  • Benefit: 5 = High Passage


Other Sites Doing the Challenge 

(let me know who I've missed & I'll add them here)

No comments: