Friday, January 28, 2022

Character Challenge 2022 28: Aiwon Cliffdreamer, Thief

Coming into the final few days. And having downloaded the basic rules for Old School Essentials (my KS / game addiction is getting bad as I may back that KS after I keep saying no more games!) I'll try my hand at that character creation process. OSE is a B/X clone basically:

Old-School Essentials is 100% compatible with the 1981 edition of the world’s most popular fantasy RPG, commonly known as the Basic/Expert edition (B/X for short). Any material published for the Basic/Expert rules can be used directly with Old-School Essentials. Decades of adventure are at your fingertips!

 Taking our 3d6, we get:

  • Strength (STR): 12
  • Intelligence (INT): 11
  • Wisdom (WIS): 11
  • Dexterity (DEX): 17 (whoo-hoo!)
  • Constitution (CON): 11
  • Charisma (CHA): 7 (well, not a pretty character. Probably picks his nose)
With these, STR gives me no bonuses. I can speak my native language and I'm literate with my intelligence. No wisdom bonuses, but my dexterity gives me a +2 on my AC, a +2 for missile attacks, and a +1 on my initiative rolls. Nothing for my constitution roll. With my charisma I get a -1 on reaction rolls, have a maximum of three retainers and have a loyalty value of 6. 

Alignment has lawful, neutral or chaotic. I'll just do a d6 and a 4 plops me in the neutral alignment. 

There are 4 basic classes I can choose. With my dexterity, thief is the obvious choice as it is the prime requisite. As such I have a paltry 1d4 for hit dice, can wear leather armor but nothing heavier, use any weapons, and speak my alignment coda and the common tongue. Of course, the classic back-stab is present with a +4 bonus to hit and double damage. Interestingly, The Fantasy Trip gives everyone a +4 to hit from the back. Coincidence?

Rolling a d4 I have all of 2 hit points. Heaven help me from tripping and killing myself! Though there is a nice note that a 1 or 2, if the GM allows, may allow the player to re-roll. And I did, and still, a 2. It is fate. That and the dice do hate me.

There are a number of skills and things that are very level dependent. 

Looking at the chart: my THACO is 19. Saving throws are:
  • death/poison 13
  • wands 14
  • paralysis/petrify 13
  • breath attacks 16
  • spells/rods/staves 15
I start with 3d6x10 gold, so 12x10 or 120 gold. My AC will be figured once I get armor, and I get the +2 due to my dexterity.

I'll need some adventuring gear: backpack (5), crowbar (10), grappling hook (25), iron spikes (1), oil (1 flask, 2), rations for 7 days (5), 50' rope (1), thieves' tools (25), tinder (3), 6 torches (1), waterskin (1). Armor is leather for 20 giving me AC 7, then +2 for my DEX for 5. A dagger (3) [1d4], short sword (7) [1d6] and a sling (2) [1d4] rounds out my belongings. 111 gold, leaving me 9 gold to start my journey.

And I think we're done. 

A wry, small man with a well-groomed beard, close-set eyes and an uneven face, Aiwon has left his small village. The 3rd son, he has nothing from his family other than good riddance, and along the way to the city has managed to pilfer and collect enough odds and ends. He is hoping to strike it big, figuring if someone leaves something out to get snatched, why, that is on them. Oddly though, he also gives to beggars and those less fortunate. While no Robin Hood, he believes that there needs to be a balance between good and evil. The bigger the heist, the more he also helps others.




No comments: