Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Character Challenge 2022 26: Liei Aeeaiiy O, Aslan Spacer

Switching back to Traveller. Though I did just get the basic OSE (Old School Essentials) rule set as I may, despite many times saying I won't keep backing games, back the new print edition. We'll see where things are at when that opens up. I do like old school games (hence this blog!)

Anyway. Let's see what the dice give us tonight: 7B6867, hmm, 5 for Vargr, though as I did that last time, let's just switch to Aslan. And an even roll for a female Aslan. And I think I've only done female Aslan characters, so I will also change that. Not so random other than the initial stats, then player determination took over.

For those not too familiar with the Aslan, they have more sexual dimorphism both physically and socially than humans do. Females tend to do the brainy things and males tend the brawny things. While stereotyped as Samari Lions, they are not really. But there is a fair amount of overlap.

Regardless, in the Classic books you have to bring out the Alien expansions. I do have the reprint, and in reading the section on character generation there are a few differences. Careers start at age 16 (which is about 14 Imperial), and terms are 8 years (about 7 Imperial). I also need to adjust the rolls, giving me a UWP of 8A7867. Increasing strength and endurance while reducing dexterity was actually a good trade-off.

Rite of Passage

At 16, Alsan undergo the Rite of Passage., the Akhuaeuhrekhyey. Roll 2 dice, and any stat above that roll counts. Rolling a 9, our rite of passage gives us just 1, which is not so great. Now I roll high!

Looking at the careers available, I will be using the basic character generation. I have the RPGSuite Aslan character generation, and it does an awful lot. Going with Classic and simple for the moment. I actually have just about a 50/50 chance of getting into a career by choice. I'll try for Space, which for Aslan is sort of a combination of the Navy and Merchants, with a hint of Scouts. a 9 and yes, I make into the Space Force. And one of the reasons I also picked this career is that my survival roll is 4+ with my intelligence. I need all the help I can get!

Term 1 (age 16-24 Imperial, 14-21 Aslan)

Survival: by the skin of my teeth with a 4. 

Commission: need an 11, rolled a 9. Females only need a 10+. 

Skills: 2 automatic skills, I rolled over my education so no, but I get a 2nd roll for term 1, and a 6 says yes, so 3 total skills. Personal gives me Independence-1 (males generally cannot handle money, that is a female trait). Interestingly, even though I rolled the skill, I have to make yet another roll above my social level: the hoity-toity apparently refuse to even deal with money. Rolling a 7 I just make that skill. Service skills gives me Gunnery-1. The male service skill table gives me Vacc-Suit-1

My snake-eyes on re-enlistment shows me that the Space Force was not for me! 

Mustering Out

Having all of 2 mustering out rolls (the terms are longer for Aslan), we'll do 1 each for cash and benefits. This gives us Cr5,000 and +1 education. 

Note that Classic Traveller characters are not as wimpy as you think. They do gain all weapon skills at 0 effectively, though it is not noted in the character sheets usually. And the skills just say what you are good at, not the only thing you can do. Traveller is a lot more theater of the mind in terms of actual play than more complex, skill or talent-based RPGs. As with all games, it is what you bring to the table, not what the table brings to you!

Liei Aeeaiiy O, 1 term Spacer

8A7877 age 21 (24 Imperial), 1 term

Independence-1, Gunnery-1, Vacc Suit-1
Cr5,000

Liei comes from a small clan. With stars in his eyes, he joined the Space forces. Travelling amongst aliens in addition to his clan, he picked up the basics of handling money after getting taken advantage of at various ports. The female officer helped the younger ones acclimate to the concept of the credit. Not coming from a rich or storied clan, Liei was not too proud to learn a traditional female skill. On board the ships, the constant drills gave him the ability to get about in a vacc suit readily, and he became a gunner. When his first term was up, he was let loose at the high port: the 3rd son of a small clan, his parents did not have land enough and hoped he would be able to find his own property if forced out into the universe. Liei does not hold that against his clan: he is driven to acquiring his own land.

In the meantime, he stays at the station. The game hall has a small Space Gunner console where he still plays at being a gunner against the invading hoards. In the mostly human station, there are a few other Aslan as well as other aliens, but they are a small portion of the population. His credits will be running out soon, so he is actively searching the ship job boards daily, looking for a post on some ship.


No comments: