Monday, February 07, 2022

Port Tortunga: the Traveller Character Challenge's Challenge

 Getting started on this document to get all the Traveller characters generated over the January challenge into a single station. I'm using PDFs and things I've bought over the years, mostly as reference and some examples. May as well use some of the things I buy. And while I can't sell anything I create here for many reasons (not my art or source material other than my ramblings), perhaps it could push some of my many readers (okay, hyperbole time: I have a grand total of 19 followers, though a few more people do read my almost-stream-of-consciousness posts) to purchasing some of what I reference. Not that I get a commission or anything, but I buy from small companies or even private individuals brave enough to put out material, and I want to help them when I can. 

Anyway, here's the page 1 draft so far. Using the 0-Hr Argos III station which I've referenced in my solo game I think. It is a big station, just over a quarter million tons Traveller style. I'll use some of the deck plans it has, but also some from the Points in Space PDF I've had for years. And only used once for the bar in an older Traveller game I was running. With Lego minis! 


Basic idea is that this is a privatized former Imperial port. Moved out to a geosynchronous orbit it is 8 diameters out (which is close based on Earth orbits and diameters if I did my math right!) Not a pirate port, but there can be some legally dubious activity. Being farther out, it can shave off some time for merchants. Being just inside the 10D limit, those wanting a quick getaway can always risk that jump. And in re-reading this: we could put it at the 10-diameter limit. It would no longer be geosynchronous but that is not really necessary. Being on the edge of the jump limit would help speed things up even more. Of course, we could even put it out further, say 25 diameters out. That would shave off a significant amount of time for merchants in a hurry. I'll have to think about it a bit more: we also need to keep in mind transit time to the planet. I'll try my hand at the math and play with the distance. Though as I've not yet established even which world it goes around that makes it a bit problematic. I'll just make it a size 8/Terra sized world I think. Though a few sizes up and down, at that distance, don't make a lot of difference for transit times when you have a constant accelleration.

I'll expand it out and eventually share PDF here.

In the meantime, here are the Traveller characters created in this year's character challenge. Most posts already have some interaction with other characters. I'll just try & bring it all together in this PDF.

Ghon Davtell, tinkerer / repair man

Lady Rowen Snow, retired managing director

Sergeant Ou Sakannge, ex-Vargr Enforcer

Liei Aeeaiiy O, 1 term spacer Aslan

Rupert Cantu, merchant 3rd officer

Jery Russon, lance corporal (Army)

Quarol Rocha, Major (Army)

Kueklluegz Khengarkang, former Vargr Corsair

Sterey Pera, craftsman

Jala Inishmar, doctor

Arlo Kent, vagabond, drug dealer

Dhani Golotov, purser

Phex Phaserfire, pit crew

Bevin Cramer, belter

Ralphy Smoory, insurgent

Pandra Glass, Starport customs

Sir Wor Weura, Navy sublieutenant

Lars Sebin, Senior Scout

Baroness Aidy Redic, Noble

Of these, my favorite is probably Rowen Snow - she ended up a lot different than my original thoughts and ideas. And I'll end up using the good doctor Jala Inishmar. And oddly, the Other Ghon ended up a repair man basically. That Other career is more than just a rogue type of character - it all depends on how the rolls go. Which is very true of all RPGs, but Traveller in some ways more than others,

No comments: