Saturday, January 20, 2024

Character Challenge 20 of 31: Mechanoid Invasion Communications Engineer

Trying another Mechanoid Invasion character. Based on straight rolls again, several stats are above average and a few below average. Apparently he is not particularly handsome but still quite charismatic based on the physical beauty and mental affinity scores! Thinking a communications engineer may be nice to have around (or in need of rescue), let me present Eugene O'Haren.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ymO4O

An inveterate smoker, Eugene is rarely seen without his backpack full of comm equipment: cords, adaptors, power cells, spare boards, tools. Some call it his bag of holding as he always seems to have what he needs. At just over 6' tall, he sometimes seems threatening to others with his glare and constant wreath of smoke, yet his actual demeanor rapidly wins people over. He has friends throughout the various colonies that he can count on, and who seem to count on him to fix comms in a moment's notice. He rarely cusses and has only good words for people he deals with, even if they have damaged the equipment that he has to repair. The invasion by the Mechanoids has only phased him a bit as he has not been on the front lines, but as time goes on, he is starting to lose friends and people he knows to their vicious attacks. He is getting darker as time goes on.

While his primary skills are in repairing electronic equipment, has can drive most ground vehicles and has started pistol training. He carries a SB-14 sidearm all the time now. He has always carried a laser lance, but now he knows better how to use it as a weapon and not just a tool.


Random Stuff

I am sort of reminded by this post from Role Play Rescue about feeling guilty about not doing something in our hobby of choice all the time. Sometimes I feel as though I should be doing more and share a similar guilt. Then I also remember this is supposed to be fun, and if it is not fun, and I am not getting paid for it, why would I do it? And it is fun for me, though as per the title, it is often a challenge to fit creating a character in every day for a month. Even with weekends giving me more time to stock up a bit! But the challenge lies in reading other blogs: they seem to have much more in-depth characters, and are exploring new games, and other things that seem to let them do more than me. And sadly, that also spills over in my professional world as a software developer: I just really want to write code, but now having to learn all about Docker, Kubernetes, Azure, all the new frameworks. So, I experience imposter syndrome not only at work but at play! But I also recognize a lot of that is self-perception and in looking at what I do actually do, I must know at least a little bit! And that comparing myself to others is not the way to go in general. Stepping back, I can see that my life has been mostly successful, and I have the things that really matter: family, friends, my health (physical, mental and [mostly! :)] emotional). And I note that I perhaps do far too much introspection on these posts! 

2024 Challenge


No comments: