Monday, January 13, 2020

The Fantasy Trip - Puddlejumpers

As I named this area almost 40 years ago in college, I cannot recall what I was thinking for this. Most of the areas named on my various maps were created directly out of the minis I had just bought (buy some minis, make a map of where they are from. Good times!). 

In the current incarnation, the land of the Puddlejumpers is the junk-drawer of magic. Wild magic abounds, and it is a an area of low hills, fens, marshes, wetlands and interesting denizens that are fleeing to a place where they can just be themselves. There are roving bands of hunters of all sorts as well, and fell creatures that would as soon kill you as see you. Treasures are rumored to be in there, and magic users across the area often go there for those special ingredients that can grow or be found nowhere else.

Elementals are not uncommon, golems and other wizardly constructs are all over, and rumors of skeleton armies are less rumor and more fact. Fortunately a lot of those with various armies tend to fight each other rather than the conquest of other lands.

Pure power stones can sometimes be found, bypassing the cost and time of creating them. Old manses exist, falling apart like houses in the Bayeux here on Earth. Spanish moss, slime moss and fairy moss hang in huge garlands from the trees, Am Bushes and bloodtrees have entire groves to themselves, littered with skeletons that have not risen from a sorcerers' casting. Witches in huts with chicken legs are known to wander about.

I'll have to come up with a fun random encounter list here, and possibly include some things from the Deck of Silly Treasures and other PDFs. One of the people I give a bit to on Patreon produces a wide range of interesting monsters, mostly D&D stats but applicable to any game with a bit of work, so I'll go through those as well. For instance, JH Illos has the following creature that should be a fun encounter! While I don't give much, I think the Patreon idea is a good idea: you back people to let them try creative things they may not otherwise be able to do. And over the years I've "borrowed" a lot of images and things from the webs, so if I can help a few of those people even a little, it at least makes me feel better!

No comments: