Friday, August 23, 2019

Traveller Ship Tracker - v5

I actually broke down and restarted this project. I've managed to get the SQL backend back in place using Entity Framework Core and SQLite. So far it does nothing but I have created the two classes, ShipClasses and Ships, and created the main screen.

I'll probably need to get some consistent images. The Beowulf image is from the Traveller Wiki, the Navy symbol for the ship classes is from the T5 font set from the original T5 Kickstarter. 

I may try to make my own images to not have to worry about copyright issues or stuff like that, and to get a consistent look.

The next step is to make those buttons actually go someplace. I was just happy to get Visual Studio 19 up to date and to be able to create a new Windows WPF program, and wire up the SQLite stuff again. The schema maps to the preview I did, so that does not need any updating (schema).  And I am also designing with the default 800x450 size but the layout is reactive. That size should fit on all tablets - my last experience was using the full screen but as my main screen is a quad HD I ended up putting way too much in there. 

I'll also be establishing the resource library for shared templates and things such as the back arrow button to go to the previous screen.  This is NOT a single page type of application - I honestly have a hard time wrapping my head around that (basically there is a controller page and you just load up the layout. I sort of did that with the last one, having a main page and swapping out the internal content based on the buttons clicked. I was not entirely happy with the results).

So the next steps are to get the ship classes list in place, and an editor for the classes that fits in the size allotted. Then the same for the ships. Then play with that a bit, then once I am happy, figure out how to get it to anyone who wants to install it. The previous UWP process just did not work well for non-developers. I am hoping for a simple installer or something.

Source code is on GitHub if anyone wants to look and cringe.

No comments: