Saturday, August 10, 2019

Traveller Tracker

I am slowly making the decision to start over. Again. The UWP program got too messy too fast. And when testing on a smaller screen, it did not work particularly well. Plus messy code.

So, starting anew means a bit better planning. I am also going to see if I can make it work on Mac & Windows via Xamarin forms, which in theory should work across platforms. And it has to be easy to install: the various test beds for UWP programs were designed more for developers than for general users.

So, various phases:

  1. Test getting the forms to work for both Windows & Mac. I can test on my tablet, and at work I use a Mac. 
  2. Start small
  3. I'll start with just the ship class and ships, so that a user can easily view, edit and create a new class or ship
  4. try to design for multiple screen resolutions
Down the road, I'll put back the whole TravellerMap API as I really like that, but I won't futz around with locally storing the data, nor allowing for the milieus. Maybe down the road as I did have a way of doing that but it got ugly. 

So starting with a pretty simple schema - this all of phase 1 will have in it. Then I need to explore Xamarin forms to see how to make that work and if it will work on Macs as well as PCs. If not, I'll fallback to just Win10.

No comments: