Thursday, March 02, 2023

Windemere Crossing - Business Districts and neighboring kingdoms

Reading through the Cities and Towns builder book, I realize that I can have districts. While Windmere Crossing is pretty small, even a small town of a few hundred people may have districts. And I also got to thinking about how the history of this being originally a garrison outpost means its architecture will be basically strong and military-based. But it will also, as that has been literally centuries ago, have additional housing and structures added over the years.

We've already encountered the Goblin district, the Goblin Drecks or the Drecks to the southwest side of the town. The market district is small but surrounds what was once the training grounds for the soldiers stationed here. This is in the central part of the town.

But other than that - there are no real districts in Windemere Crossing. Things are a bit jumbled together: the inns and taverns are scattered, reusing older buildings or new ones built. The sheriff's office is the old brig basically. And I just realized we have no town leader. While the Elves of the Silver Pirate actually run the town, and we do have a sheriff, we don't have a council, mayor, royalty or anything in charge. And I think I actually have the kingdom we're in from one of the write-ups.

Windemere Crossing is in the Respeth Kingdom. To the east is the Principality of Gerek, the south is the Duchy of Aberthith, and the west is the Kingdom of Ismekonia. I suppose the Principality or the Duchy could both be part of the Respeth Kingdom. I am not great at political stuff, but we'll go with some tensions between Respeth and Ismekonia - after all, why is the sheriff keeping in contact with his former kingdom?

What kind of kingdom is Respeth? How large is it, and how does it fair with its neighbors? Oddly enough I did not immediately find any sort of random kingdom type generator, though this one and this one are actually pretty interesting for the base population and a few things like that. What I was hoping for is one that gives me the "feel" for the kingdom. As I'll always default to the same stereotypes. Guess I could make up something for dice.

Using the classic Traveller 2d6 reaction roll, we'll go with 2 = a cruel and despotic kingdom and 12 = a pastoral Eden where people all have well-defined rights and few go hungry. A 5: there will be some evil despots, and some of the cities and towns can be quite cruel. I think I need to see about a table now after all, sort of like the TL table. Though it may be hard for me to fill in the ranges. The top and bottom are easy, as is the middle. It is the more nuanced rolls I'll have a hard time filling in. That 5 indicates that there could be some slavery and the general feel of the kingdom is not all sunshine and roses. Guess we could even add in a column for chances of thieves' and assassins' guilds and stuff, but not really sure all that is really necessary or will get used honestly. Of course, our Elves taking over and ruling the town does fit into this roll pretty well honestly. They are not nice people (and I need to dig into them a bit more).

Roll

General Feel

Primary Alignment

Miscellaneous Info

2

A hell on earth. People live in fear and evil rules everywhere

100% Chaotic

Slavery is normal. Torture is common. Starvation for the masses is normal

3

 

 

 

4

 

 

 

5

The seedy part of town is most of the kingdom, though there are some good spots here and there.

40% Chaotic, 40% Neutral, 20% Lawful

 Slavery is generally outlawed, indentured servants common.

6

 

 

 

7

Average society. Some good, some bad, some neutral.

33% Chaotic 34% Neutral 33% Lawful

Slavery is outlawed but indentured servants are a thing. There are a wide range of wealth

8

 

 

 

9

 

 

 

10

 

 

 

11

 

 

 

12

Paradise on earth. People are honest and caring.

100% Lawful

Fair rules, and either elected rulers or charismatic and good. No one starves.

 Our town leadership is going to be a very small council lead by a Bürgermeisterin (a female Bürgermeister) and a council of 2 others, the sheriff Sprigbasher and the owner of the largest general store in town, Zesp Zrag. As I've not generated a character other than the gender, I'll do that in my next post or so. Although I am also due to have a monthly tavern update, I think.

In this post I've generated some basic information about Windemere Crossing's few districts and its neighbors, at least the names. And expanded a little on the Kingdom of Respeth where it is situated. And I poked around looking for fantasy game female mayors and eventually found this image, which I really like and will use as the to-be-determined Bürgermeisterin of Windemere Crossing.



No comments: