Sunday, February 26, 2023

Skirmish match - Centaurs vs Goblins vs Dwarves

Switched houses and we had a three-way match-up. What was interesting about this is both the other two played a lot of Warhammer (how they met actually) so have a good grasp of this sort of game. I'm just flailing about, but that's okay: we're having fun. But the Dwarven army readily beat the both of us: he had this thing called a shield wall and it made it difficult to hurt them. 

It also pointed out a few things in the mechanics: my centaur army was all of 6 single units, so no morale checks. But they are also more vulnerable. Sometimes the mass approach works better as there are more dice involved in the attacks. But the cheaper units, such as Goblins, are cheaper because they are not as effective. Having a harder time hitting and defending, and prone to routs, 2 squads ran off the table basically once half their unit was gone.

The game lasted longer for my Centaurs though. They first of all had a few attributes that gave them additional attacks, were faster than anyone else on the board, and the leader was really tough. He actually survived most of the Troll attacks unscathed. We started joking that the Troll was only after those flags. We had all ganged up on the marker we had to hold to win, and the Centaur leader finally got stunned, then the Dwarves killed him. The Dwarf player replaced one of his Dwarf minis with one that had a flag. We were teasing that poor Troll!



Then we played a bit of Death Test. My Orc lasted to the 2nd room, and the others were killed by the third room. I could have played it a bit safer as we were playing the first one that I've run through a few times, but decided the Orc was greedy. And those spiders in the 1st room about killed him!

We also had some game talk, and as the commute was 45 minutes, I've got an idea or two for the one player's Mycelian character. I am not convinced that our third player was as enamored with The Fantasy Trip / Melee as we are. For me it is two-fold: nostalgia as I played that way back when and still have my original books (well, Advanced Melee and Advanced Wizard. I either never had or lost the actual RPG book) and the rules for combat are straight-forward for the most part.

I still need to generate my cheat sheet for running the OSE game: I plan on actually using the referee screen as there are a lot of the rules there for easy access, so I won't have to be flipping through a book or PDF. I also want to print out useful NPC character cards. 

Using a 3x3 grid I'll be able to print 9 per sheet. One side is the TFT and OSE stats, the reverse being character details. Here are the top 3 (and only 3 so far!). The monk aka acrobat is 9th level as she has a training academy basically at the Nimble Priest Inn. Sadly, the closest to the unarmed combat II skill is that she can make tumbling attacks, inflicting 2x the regular damage. That is 1d6 normally, so she deals 2d6 damage when tumbling, with an additional +4 to hit if the opponent is unaware (sneak attack). Which good, and makes up for the staff being slow, so she attacks last when using that. Though I may home-rule the acrobat does not take that penalty.


No comments: