Sunday, February 12, 2023

Face to face skirmish!

After probably more than a year of talking about it, we finally got together for a face-to-face game. I of course lost, but it was a lot of fun. We played One Page Skirmish, and this was my first actual skirmish game. I had 2 units of skeletons, one 5 calvary unit, the other 10 foot soldiers. Against a rock-flinging troll (who managed to take out my calvary), several goblins and several hobgoblins, and finally a boss character that my skeleton foot soldiers did kill.



Took a while to set up the groups. Not having played before, it took a while to get my army. I did pick skeletons as I have a bunch from 40 years ago that I never actually used. I bought a lot of those miniatures back in the day thinking RPGs were more like skirmish games than actual role playing, so I wanted my armies! But now that I understand the mechanics a bit better after playing a few rounds, I can play with the armies and the point build system.


We also played a very short round of Death Test 2. We died in the 1st room: I pulled random fighters from the card deck and somehow picked some 36 point characters that killed us. Though we did make them bleed, and one enemy was 1 hit point away from death!

Then we played a couple rounds of Melee, again randomly pulling character cards and pitting them against each other. I came close to winning the 2nd game, but in the end it was simple attrition as my single character left could only damage the other when I rolled a 6 on 1d6. A club against armor & shield is not a lot of good! Of course, the character she was fighting could rarely hit, but when she did she always did damage. 

Regardless, it was a lot of fun. We managed to play with our toys - he brought terrain and minis, and I had the mats and minis. Next time we're playing at his house and will break in his game table. I don't think (and I could be wrong) he has run any games with anyone yet there. All I have to bring is myself - he has a LOT more miniatures and far more terrain. He used to be a wargamer, 40K and all that. Glad I managed to dodge that bullet: I'd be awash in plastic as well!

No comments: