Thursday, March 23, 2023

OSE Game Prep: Part 4, a smattering of rumors and adventure hooks

I've been slowly progressing on getting some more stuff ready. Part of this is I am giving each of the 3 players (maybe a 4th, not sure yet) a secret. What they do with this is up to them. They all fit into this little corner of the fantasy world, and possibly lead to some adventures. 

While I don't expect them to stick around Windemere Crossing for too many adventures, I am hoping that we can have them do at least a couple of things and level up. For that, we need some low-level adventures. Looking through the stuff I have, there are at least 3 that can by run as well as whatever I come up with. And in hindsight I should have given the monk/fighter character something else to help link it to one of the adventures. And all three, as long as I keep them vague, can be used elsewhere if they don't pursue them here. 

The plan is they show up in Windemere Crossing, do a little bit of exploring. There will be some NPC interaction, and we'll see what strikes their fancy. If all else, I may have Ira Sprigbasher, the sheriff, see about hiring them, or the mine representatives may want someone. As pointed out in today's skirmish game, these ARE low-level characters without a lot of hit points. Perhaps there is some armor in one of the shops that is magically enchanted as well. I do know they will meet up with our resident young Orc Rennar Lurbok as she is always interested in new people in town.

I've also been reading through the various settlement/city books I have for RPGs, and they have sparked a few ideas. I realized that I never figured children into Windemere Crossing! I'll have to add children, and if children, then possibly a school or some apprenticeships perhaps. Though in re-reading my ever-changing city description, I did find this:

For the few children in town, it makes for a wonderful playground. For others, there are numerous places to hide what they don’t want others to see. There are various wells scattered throughout the town, though no centralized sewer system.

So I did anticipate children. Just not a lot - figure there are maybe 300-500 people in Windemere, and perhaps 10% are children of various ages. If I want Windemere Crossing to be a growing town on the edge of the Respeth Kingdom, where trade caravans pass almost daily. Which also means there are a lot more inns and taverns than just those I've listed out. May have to keep the 2-minute tavern info handy in case they decide to go off the beaten path!

I have been working on my cheat sheet so I have this sort of info handy. I'll print it out before the 1st night. May even print out the larger city book - I ended up getting an inexpensive laser printer so I can print a bit more cheaply! It really helps me to have it in paper form: despite working with computers for decades, and having multiple screens, paper is just easier for me to find things.

And the Dungeons & Lasers terrain came! I've put together 2 trees and painted them, and I like how they came out. I've also a Dwarven arch which came out pretty nice. And now that we're playing skirmish games once or twice a month, I'm actually using my toys now!




No comments: