Thursday, July 14, 2022

Painting the sewers

Archon has managed an early delivery on a Kickstarter project! Of course, they do everything in-house in Poland. The sewer set finally showed up, and while I can't (yet!) paint as well as what they do there, I can get something that looks pretty good.

who let that Goblin shaman into the sewers?

First, the before and after pictures. The translucent sewer water also includes the walkway next to them. 


I connect a few of them together, then using painters tape, cover up the water. By connecting them it makes for an easier paint job as I only have 1 thing to spray paint in.This was round 2 so I am re-using the tape where possible (hey, I'm the one who made Sir Caffeine's tower from a coffee container - I like to recycle things. Eventually with practice I may even get good at it!)


Spray paint and let dry...and yes, that is some shipping paper. Sadly, not recyclable after spray painting on it but at least it is getting a second (and third, fourth) use as I can use it to keep from painting anything else.

Peel of the tape and it actually looks pretty good.

Now do some of my cheap wash (Wal-Mart black acrylic paint watered way down) I also did the walls with the same wash. When it dries, the splotchiness, at least to me, looks like water stains. Which technically it really is as it is just watered-down paint.


Again, let it dry. I also noticed that I did not get the paint all the way down on some of the edges - reusing tape may be getting too cheap! But I'll correct that with the 1st dry brushing, as the 1st layer is a just a lighter shade of the same grey used in the base coat (which is just spray paint, not a specific mini paint company spray which costs 10x as much. And for rocks, the $3 can works just as well for me at least).

Some crude dry brush (I am still not great at this except by happy accident!) and then some green for slime (Naga green - for this final bit I did actually use a "real" mini paint as for some reason I have a few vials of naga green!)



And there we have it - perfect home for a sewer mermaid! Okay, I do have more appropriate creatures for the apparently ever-present sewers that fantasy cities seem to have.

The only issue I have with the sewer set is that the translucent plastic is more brittle than the normal stuff they use. Clipping it off the sprues requires a bit more attention, and you will have to file it down as it does leave little spurs. Or else my clippers are getting dull! But overall, I am really happy with this set. 

Now just 2 more sprues to work on! And the 3 big boxes of stretch goals. And the other rooms I bought...




1 comment:

Baron Greystone said...

Hey, I think you did a fine job with the sewer! Lots of luck with all the other kits!