Sunday, July 10, 2022

Solo Traveller - In Jump To Llamma

 With the traditional dimming of the lights, we left normal space and entered that oddity of jump space. All external systems went dark, and the external monitors now showed a simulated starfield. As the No Refunds was not really set up as a passenger ship, and her Ladyship needed her own stateroom, I had moved all my stuff out and set up temporary quarters with the doctor. The Engineers were already bunking together. It was a bit crowded, but we would at least have the credits applied.

I went and buzzed on Lady Khou's door, and her bodyguard answered. He was a huge Vargr, scarred and to me at least, terrifying. He growled something at me, and I took a step back. I heard her Ladyship's voice from the back, and he stepped aside, gesturing for me to come in.

Not really a lot of passenger space!

The stateroom had already been set up with some Vargr hangings against the walls. I did not recognize any of them, but they looked old and somehow impressive. I introduced myself to Lady Khou, and after some chitchat, I learned that the bodyguard's name was a series of growls I could not pronounce but translated out close enough to Gouck, which at least I could pronounce. Apparently Gouck spoke little Anglic (something I learned later: he could understand it just fine but chose to play ignorant as people will say a lot more when they think the person present cannot understand them). I gave them a couple of choices for the celebratory dinner and left them to their own devices as I prepped the big meal. 

A few hours later, and the crew and our two special guests were eating at the table. Unlike most Imperial designed ships. the No Refund has a spacious dining and common area. I think the designers realized that a lot of time would be spent here and having more space would help. After the meal, Captain Laux broke out some Vargr wine I did not know he had. Turns out Oeg had been saving it for a special occasion, and while the 2nd engineer did not look too happy about the use of his private collection, her Ladyship seemed quite appreciative. We found that they were indeed looking to establish a conclave of Vargr in the League, and this sight-seeing trip was to sound out how the various systems and people may accommodate them. 

"Honestly, Hendar has been our best choice so far. Though there is no technology base to speak of, we'd import what we need. The planet is mostly empty. But we're still looking and getting a feel for what the natives think." She had an aristocratic voice that, while quiet, still managed to carry well. She had dressed up for the dinner, and while we had no ship uniform, most of the crew were also dressed better than I normally saw them. Even Lando, our chief engineer, managed to get out of the coveralls he normally wore and was wearing a somewhat threadbare yet still presentable suit. I almost did not recognize Ewo: I had never seen here wearing jewelry before, and those little orbs glinting from her ears with the gold chains made her seem almost regal as well. 

The rest of the week went well until the 5th day, 2 days before we were going to drop out of jump space. Gouck came up to me while I was in the commons area, working on my journal. He handed me a page that Lady Khou had written, asking me to come to her cabin. Putting up the tablet I followed the hulking Vargr (I really did not know Vargr could get that large!) and entered her cabin.

"It seems that I am missing a certain legal document," she said without preamble. While my jaw did not drop, I was a bit shocked: this was a classic case of theft on a closed ship. I stammered a bit and told her that "we need to see the captain and bring this to his attention." 

Not long after, there was a general ship meeting in the commons, the captain sitting at the top of the table. Her Ladyship was next to him, and Gouck was behind her, arms crossed and a deeper scowl than normal on his muzzle.

"It seems that we have some sort of theft on the No Refunds. That is entirely unacceptable. As we are all gathered here now, I want everyone's story for the last day."

Neither the captain nor Lady Khou mentioned what was stolen, and beyond them and me, only Gouck knew what was missing.

So, in rolling for what happened in jump, something from a passenger cabin was stolen. At this point, I need to come up with a plan, and actually what really happened. Did something actually get stolen, is this some sort of test of the crew, or something else entirely. And honestly, this is where solo role playing gets a bit predictable as it is all in my head without bumping into other people's ideas.

Going to first make it a 50/50 thing: even it is something actually missing, odd it is some sort of test. And a 6 - this is some sort of test the captain is putting the crew through with Lady Khou. Back to our wheels within wheels.  I just need to figure out what sort of test this is: probably a loyalty test of sorts. I'll just have to think about it.

As to the large Vargr, Mongoose did make a variety of types of Vargr. While I personally don't like it, it does add a bit of flair to the stock Vargr. Mongoose added several subspecies, one of which is the Urzaeng. These get a +1 to strength and dexterity but a -2 to intelligence. The Classic book does not separate out sub-species. I think Traveller was well ahead of its time in many ways by generally not making differences between genders and things like that (though the Aslan do have a large sexual dimorphism, most races, notably Humanity, makes no differences based on gender). Anyway, I digress as normal! Going with the bodyguard is Urzaeng. Though I've yet to roll up characters.

And I'll think about this test - going to play the deeper game as per the previous solo post: wheels within wheels. I'm just lazy when it comes to the solo game. Had I been running this for a group, I would have more concrete ideas. And so perhaps I'll try & treat it that way. 

No comments: