Friday, April 01, 2022

Painting Goblins

They are awfully small and hard to paint. Going with a traditional Goblin orange as that was a Reaper paint color from a monster skin paint set I got. But they are tiny and even with a magnifying glass, hard to do well. Not quite done - another bit of detailing then some shading and will probably be done enough.

And why am I painting the Goblins? Because they are a traditional low-level threat. And while I am not sure I'll be playing OSE anytime soon as I keep hoping, I do want to run through my initial game scenario to see how it may play out. I've got 5 of them, and then poking through the bags from the Reaper Bones 5 KS, I found another set. And I am trying hard not to look at Reaper Bones 6. I've boxes of unpainted minis, I am not playing face to face where that would be useful. So instead I make scenes...

Here the Goblins are attacking the stables. I got a 2nd cardboard "puzzle" that does fit 25mm figures well. My minis from the 80s were all 25mm. Most are now 28mm, so my original (and probably lead-filled!) minis look a bit tiny next to most of the stuff I get now. These puzzles are about $20, go together pretty well and actually have usable interiors as they open up. And just like all the minis - where do I store them?

I do plan on solo running my house infiltration this weekend. I forgot I did generate a thief for OSE using the basic rules. He may get added to the group. We'll see how that goes, and hopefully I'll actually follow through, maybe take some pictures and share my experience.

My Monday group is approaching the big bad. Sadly my character, Verner, has been mentally taken over and is joyfully going to meet his fate. He has bumped up quite a bit from his initial character sheet. He now has his own portable dimension where he stores his seemingly endless supply of cigarettes and Dr. Goodman's clothes for when that character transforms. He can also open portals to places he has been before, not just line of sight anymore. It worked well in our last battle as the armored guy trying to take Verner down ended up several blocks away from the fight. After getting dropped on his head, twice, and in the line of fire for a long-distance sniper. And Verner apparently likes dropping cars on his enemies - one guard was squished by a VW minivan, lime green if I recall. It crushed him as well as dropping through the floor. The portal ability is one we made up as it was not in the Costumes Microlite rules. And it can be a really powerful ability. I still need to figure out one more power-up as we leveled up last session as well. I am thinking something along the lines of time manipulation: he can "freeze" time. Those portals are potentially time and space, not just connecting two places but possibly time as well. A previous encounter he was told to think about alternate universes. And that actually fed into his expanding backstory. Verner really has no idea who he is, and with that comment from the GM, we riffed and I am thinking he is actually from another universe entirely, or at least something with the big bad we're now approaching. I really need to get with that GM and talk some more about this. We both like sharing world building, and I purposely left Verner's background a blank slate to evolve organically with the game. It is a lot of fun!


I also got Finn (my dog) a D20 treat ball. He will be playing games with me now that he has his own d20!

The city gate. With a flat horse and rider.


2 comments:

Baron Greystone said...

I love cardboard buildings, but they're still unassembled because I have no room for them.

Craig Oliver said...

space is always the problem. Then figuring out how to store & then be able to get the things you need. I fear I am just disorganized more than I think as I've yet to find the "best" way of storing my notes, my minis, my terrain, my books in a way where I like. Think I had a post a few years back about that, and in trying to find a good way to index game notes and things.

But yes, the cardboard buildings are really nice. Now if only I could get back to a face to face game & use them other than staging practice scenes!