Saturday, July 10, 2021

Apex: Game Prep

Trying to get some game prep in for the Apex game I'll be running. We had a session 0 a few weeks ago when the GM could not make a game, so we decided to do some prep work for the next game which ended up being Apex. Takes place in 1935 or so and will be in the same universe as our 30's pulp vigilante game. I'm giving the players some personal background stuff that hopefully will get revealed in game play. My plan is to also have a 1 page summary of the environment and ideas behind the game so there is some common starting ground. And I just realized that the MIA GM has not rolled up a character - I'll have to get with him to see if he is going to play, and if so, what sort of character.

I've got the character briefs as follows:

The name's Ace McCloud; pilot, guide, and overall a swell guy. From Hollywood, U.S. of A. Out here doing odd jobs for cash and fame. 

He's an adventurer, has his own sea plane, a skycutter. The player dug up the info, so we'll be using that as well. There will be use for this plane. I see something akin the the Indian Jones movie at some point.

We have our academic, which I don't have the character sheet or background yet. But I am putting the book from A Journey to the Center of the Earth into his hands. He has traced the origins of his copy of the map to Apex Island, and has his own copy of a more hand-drawn map that has some details. Not all the details (as I've not come up with them yet, but there will be some dungeoning in the game!) And using another Dyson map from that bundle I got a while ago. See - I can use the stuff I buy! And if we were at a table, I'd bring out the temple walls (seen here from some early TFT solo test, which I need to get back to!)



 We have our German scientist, who will help against the Germans as she as her own map leading to a crystal power source, and perhaps some occult book. The player brought up some interesting ideas that I'll try & incorporate. I do need to lean in on some occult/science mishmash. While my original idea of a crystal to supply power for an experimental craft may be good, a 2nd hook for the player would better.

Guten Morgen Jungs,

      Permit me to introduce myself. I am Fräulein Ilsa Äletndőrf, formerly Doktor und Psychlo-Oberstleutnant of the German Army deep science division.

I have noticed that the Allies are not fully aware of the great threat that exists in the Wehrmacht Dinosaurier Eingreiftruppe that will soon be ready to lay waste to all of Europa.

I am aware that I am accompanied by the buckaroo nature of dër Yankee's and the passive overthinking demeanor of the Britisch. Let us hope that we may come to an amiable and utilitarian middle ground in which to stop the all out destruction of Mother Europa and all the freedoms there in via the storm of däs Öber-Raptőr Legion , meine Herren!

Yours Sincerely in struggle;

Doktor Ilsa Äletndőrf, PsyD

 Her map is drawn by fine German cartographers.


Hopefully similar enough for the players to recognize as the same thing, but different enough to have a bit of mystery.

We have a gadgeteer:

Oh, it's an American! Well fancy meeting you here. I am working on an apparatus that will allow me to fly through the air, graceful as a bird.

Let me introduce myself, Chum! I am Mr. Archimedes Billingsley. Mechanic, inventor and tinker. Pleasure to meet someone from the Colonies! 

We had an ornithopter in the Brass Rings game based on some bantering we had. Going to throw one into this game probably. Give the gadgeteer a gadget to work on.


 Big enough to carry all of them, though it will probably be a brief flight.

Doing a bit of research into the 30s to also help get my historical references. The basic background is straight out of the game book. Two of the players already have that as well, so there will be help with running the game a bit I am hoping. 

Hoping my next post will be Traveller solo but who knows.

And: my Reaper miniatures showed up! Box full of boxes of minis. And so many plastic bags! Fortunately my wife can use them at the fly shop she works at for packaging flies and things. She makes her own flies and sells them there. So at least the bags are getting a 2nd use. While I understand the need from a bulk packaging perspective, I hate that almost every mini, of where there are a few hundred (yes, I may have overdone it a bit, but it is such a great buy!) has its own bag. Same thing the way Steve Jackson Games does stuff. Hopefully they can figure out a more environmental approach to packaging. Sorry - I went off the rails a bit there I suppose. But our hobby is not particularly green, and I do sometimes think about that. 





 


No comments: