Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Cheap Dungeon Crafting - Sir Caffeine's Tower Part 1

I get whole bean coffee usually, and I've been getting these cannisters that are begging for some sort of crafting project! I decided on the typical tower. I've a feeling I'll be making multiple versions of this as I like coffee, and practice make perfect. At least so goes the theory.

First, we need a door. And I could repurpose the Dungeons & Lasers doors to be used here. I also have some of the "functional" doors, so could put one of those in there so we can open and close the door. Had I not had these doors, I would have crafted either a cardboard one or use my trusty craft sticks.


After that, we need to put in at least a 2nd floor, and have access to that floor. Making the floor from a shipping box and sharpies works pretty good. As with my door, v2 may be created using craft sticks over the cardboard. I even remembered to put in some tabs to help hold with the paste, and opened a door for a ladder or staircase to the ground floor. Which, alas, we cannot access. Maybe I'll cut an access panel in the back. In which case I'll need to cover the floor. As I forgot. But hey, this is an alpha test. 


Once we have our second floor ready, I realize we have some shiny walls. While appropriate for an SF tower (or a big elevator: hmm, I think I've at least one world with a space elevator, and this would work for that. Put a cargo bay in the bottom, the 2nd floor the passenger section, and the top mini-level life support. Plenty of greebles from the plastic sprues. Perhaps my next cheap craft project!)

Back to Sir Caffeine's tower, put in some wallpaper and it looks a lot better.


And yes, our drunken monk has moved in.

I've thought about foam & foam rollers. Maybe I'll look into that. But for the moment I'll probably just wrap the thing in printed paper. But textured foam would look a lot better I think, and is relatively cheap. Just not as cheap as using existing containers that would have been recycled. And sadly our hobby can be not too environmentally friendly. My Reapers box has hundreds of plastic baggies. Fortunately they are getting a 2nd use at the fly shop my wife works at to hold flies they sell. Heck - she makes "mop" flies out of the yarn from mops. Crafting on the cheap!

Still need to put in a top floor. I may add crenellations to the top. There is a metal rim and I don't want to cut that, so may just add more bits of cardboard. And of course I may use my ladder or stairs I also have from D&L.

And mostly done with the gator folk. Need to do some touch-ups for places I missed, and another dry coat highlighting but otherwise, I am pretty happy with the Gator Brothers. Now to get back to a table and have them up against our party. Perhaps talking is better than fighting?



No comments: