Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Fate: Vigilante Game

Playing in a FATE game, which thematically is a bit different than most RPGs. The FATE chips allow us a bit of an ability to redo things to better fit the narrative. We've managed to get all together, and the mechanic behind that is similar to the way Mongoose introduced connections (though as FATE probably came first, Mongoose may have adopted that).  Regardless, we have to tell a story about first meeting other players. With four players, you have to meet at least two of the others. You tell a joint story and have some common phrasing that may be used later to help or hinder a scene. 

I think the Schlock Mercenary RPG uses their RiPP (Role Playing Points I think) in the same manner: you can use them to change an outcome, and be given more from the game master. And our last d20 game had action points that worked in the same manner.

So what do I think about the ability to re-roll? If you view an RPG session as a shared story, which I do, I think it can be a good tool to have. And it also depends on the style of game being run. For Traveller, I would not use this, though the Mongoose v2 Boon/Bane mechanic could useful and can be a similar though not identical idea. I see this as more a less-used mechanic to help the game go forward. However: I think that it should not be depended on. The game should have repercussions if you make a choice that ends badly. In the vigilante game we're currently in, the GM has said that should we surrender, it could be that we're taken to the "big bad" per older, vigilante style stories. Yet we cruised on and managed to kill a number of Tong fighters, badly outnumbered. Of course, the biggest bruiser we had managed to take down part of a house that took out a good portion of them, yet the Grey Cat managed to kill of several and not even take a scratch. Part of that is the way combat is handled: she has a great athletics, so I tend to roll higher than the attacker and thus manage to avoid getting hit. I wish we were at a table so I could see the rolls and get a better feel for how the combat is actually working.

Grey Cat on the roof top

The other good/bad thing about the remote gaming is that sessions can be a lot longer as we are not getting kicked out of the store where we played. Bad news is I get up about 4:30 to get to the gym, so like to be in bed by 9 or so. But - I can stay up late at least 1 night a week for the fun and discussions. But I do get sleepy!

And speaking of discussions: we do get into some interesting and frankly vehement non-game related discussions. So far no hurt feelings as we're all adults, but we do have some quite different views. Which I am glad for as it also makes me question my assumptions. Sometimes. And that is another good thing about RPGs: they can ask interesting questions and pose moral dilemmas. My Paladin was seriously questioning his choice of adventuring party, pious person that he at least wanted to be. Grey Cat is a bit more flexible but I've yet to get into her skin, so to speak. 

Here is her original write-up, but there are a few changes I think to her skills ladder. And she has a few stunts. Her athletics is great, meaning I add 4 to the 4 fate dice we roll. So she will never go negative and may get as high as 8 for most athletic checks. But I also have the acrobats bump and safe fall, meaning I tend to fall on my feet and take a lot less damage:

The character can skip effortlessly down sheer surfaces without harm, allowing him to safely fall great distances.When the character falls, but is near a solid surface, such as the wall of a shaft, or has sufficient other things like ropes to offset his fall, all falls are treated as two categories shorter (and may be reduced another step with Athletics as normal).
And now I am wondering if by picking that I needed to add another +1 to my rolls for athletic checks - I will have to verify that.



No comments: