Saturday, September 19, 2020

Dungeon Crafting

 I've been painting my science fiction floors and walls from Dungeons and Lasers (and I also backed D&L 2 and figure I'll go fantasy for the core set but pick up that sweet Dwarf mining room. And a big dragon or two). I've been experimenting with making a dark wash which I am actually happy with. Using a tube of black acrylic paint that cost all of $1 and mix to about 1 part paint and 3 parts or so water and it does pretty well with filling in the back spaces. I use a plastic blister pack from a mini for mixing, so recycling as well as saving money. I figured if I used the Army Painter washes I bought, the paint would be more than the plastic walls!

I started with a dull grey primer, using your generic primer from Wal-Mart. $4 for a can beats the $9 for a half size can and for scenery it works well enough for me. Then each set has its own colors laid on that. Initially I was hand painting details, and doing a poor job that looked bad. So I took an entirely different approach: the primer, then the dark wash for the shadows, then decided what to do for each set.

Each set as its own color scheme. The core set got a blue dry wash on first then a copper dry wash on top of that. Trying to make my ships scruffy and worn looking. Hopefully the last post or two back shows that okay, but I think they look better close up.

The AI center has a white wash, then I started painting the little buttons and things. I've got some clear plastic from a pasta box, and I've tried cutting to cover the monitor, but you can't really see it so not sure if I plan on doing that or not. I may try painting one side, then flipping to see if it shows up looking more like a glass screen. Experiments, I tell you!

The xenogeneis chamber is of course green on the dark wash. This set of rooms may be usable for fantasy as well.

The engine room uses that silvery blue paint to look more like stainless steel. Not sure how effective it works but I am happy enough with it for the moment.

Overall, generally happy though some things got too heavy a coat: I need to practice more obviously, which is true of everything. 

Finally, I bought some little tiny battery-powered lights that I am also going to mess around with. I am hoping to be able to use them to make torches on walls, or lights in the ship. Not sure why the Dwarf is aboard this ship, but I thought I needed a character for scale. Hmm, could also put the lights in the floor. Nice thing about these nano-lights is that I got a pair for $5 including wiring and a battery, so cheap enough to mess with. I bought 2 sets, so we'll see where this goes.


And looking through the door into the control room(pre-light)

And finally, I do have part of this organized in bins. And bins in bins :)  Got to thinking about how I would transport this stuff to a game session once we actually get back into face to face gaming. I'll have to pick and choose the things I will need but should be able to fit it all into 1 bin. I have one box full of skeleton minis. I must have liked them though I think one of the horses is missing a rider. Those are all old actual D&D metal minis from the 80s. Good times!


Finally, I really do need to get back to my Traveller solo game. Maybe tonight or tomorrow depending on time. I mowed the grass today (hopefully last time of the year) and found a ground nest full of bees. Who were quite angry with me. Only about 5 stings or so, and I am so glad I am not allergic to bees! Tomorrow is actually a pretty full day - gym, then Red Cross to give platelets, then meeting one of my gaming buddies who I have not seen since February or so! Turns out a game I've been holding on to over 35 years, and never played, is on his wish list. So hopefully I'll remember to bring him Starship Troopers and maybe, when we can get back to gaming face to face, we can add another game day that is not an RPG game as we both love (and both suck at apparently!) war games and other games.

True fact: I got into RPGs as I truly am a horrible tactician and strategist. I got tired of my 3 year younger neighbor beating me at every single game we played. Though I still had fun, it is nice to win once in a while!

And finally: if you can, give blood or platelets. I started decades ago, and it helps people who are going through the hell that is cancer. My wife barely survived 3 years ago, and while I don't think any of my platelets made it to her, I do know that they have gone to people that it literally means life and death to. And hey, I can see a Traveller adventure wrapped up around delivering plasma. In fact, there was an Amber Zone Chill in the Journal of the Travellers Aid Society #15 that dealt with this very thing. Hmm, maybe I need to reread all those Traveller magazines again.

No comments: