Friday, September 04, 2020

Between games

 We finished off that arc of the Corsairs adventure last Monday. I'll be doing a recap over this 3 day weekend sometime with any luck. The next game is  microlite D&D style adventure, and I am managing to bring back Sir Zay. As I only got a few sessions with him in the actual D&D game, he will be transported via an odd gate to the new world. I just have to translate out his D&D stats, skills and all that to the new game system. So expect a post on that process as well!

I also got the first supplement to Corsairs, and it is very exciting! It greatly expands on ship options, from additional, more detailed guns and gun options, to more sailing rules and a few other things. My first go over really got me wanting to play more Corsairs! I will have to actually print this out myself when the game from Australia shows up (it is in the mail, but mail has been wonky, especially international mail). One of the interesting aspects is a ship's reputation. The Fools Errand gained 2 reputation points - 1 for defeating a larger ship, and another as that ship had a reputation from the wars (yes, retrofitting some of the new and optional rules). So the ship, like a Traveller ship, starts to become part character in of itself. 

It just takes time to develop those personality quirks and things, which is why I am so happy to bring back a character I only got to play for about 7 sessions. I want to play a character over years if possible, both game years and real time years. In college my Scout, Captain Nathan Brazil (hey, I was reading the Well World series when I started, and the name is cool) got in about 2 year of real time game play. I should really bring him back as an NPC or patron in a Traveller game - still have his character sheet around here someplace (looks over the piles of gaming material surrounding the desk like a palisade and realizes it may require some really good navigation or lore rolls to find).  And it is okay to play the same character in different games: I could translate our paladin Sir Zay to the Fantasy Trip (and I might at that, but at a 3rd level D&D character he is certainly not a 32 point beginning character).  

And (stream of consciousness here) I like to be able to figure out who my characters are. I generally play variations of myself, or what I'd like myself to be. I don't think I've ever played an evil character, or a malicious one. The farthest I got from me was that Traveller Marine character: gung-ho, shoot first and let other people ask the questions. She was cool - the game misjumped into D&D (the GM wanted to play that using the characters we started in a Traveller game). They ended up popping out next to a dragon, who was quite angry. So I was buzzing about in powered combat armor with grav belts and a fusion gun. The dragon & I both died leaving some large craters in the ground, but a goddess (and I cannot recall after almost 40 years!) liked what she saw & my character came back. With wings so she could still fly!  I still have the mini I bought for that (think it is really an angel type but close enough!) Those are the gonzo things I need to let loose with more often, instead of playing a somewhat idealized version of me. Which is interesting coming from me as I do complain about people playing the same character in every game. Hmm, a little bit of Freudian projection there? Or was that Jung? Sorry - 40 years since I took any psychology classes as well, though it turns out when I looked at my transcript a few years back I was pretty close to having a minor in psychology. Never noticed at the time. See - stream of consciousness!

Anyway, this is mostly a "filler" post. I hope to get at least 2, maybe 3 posts done this weekend:

  • Sir Zay conversion to the microlite setting, along with some background notes. probably try my hand at a Fantasy Trip conversion as well
  • Corsair end game recap, which includes some post-game things and options for our next round
  • Solo Traveller. no, I've not forgotten it! Just seems to be a lack of time and inclination simultaneously!
And I hope everyone has a great weekend, and for those of us lucky enough for a 3 day weekend, a nice 3 day weekend!

No comments: