Thursday, August 24, 2023

Traveller: ISS Emergency Water Flask

I know I've tried to outline this before, but as my game group has decided on an RPG Item A Day Challenge for ourselves (and for the OSE game coming up - starting in less than 2 weeks!) I decided I could at least do 1 Traveller item. Previously I tried to draw or find an image. This time AI to the rescue. 

The ISS Emergency Thermos is part of the standard emergency survival kit found on all ISS craft. This versatile thermos can carry just under 2 liters of water. It also has sensors and purifiers built in to be readily replenished from liquid water sources. If there are no water sources available, it can fill itself back from atmospheric humidity in 12 hours - the planet's hydrographic value. The purification system is good for up to 12 weeks before filters need to be replaced depending on usage and water conditions. 

It also has an inertial compass, flashlight and emergency beacon that may be used. Solor powered via a multi-spectral detachable solar screen, it may be used indefinitely requiring only a couple hours a day to recharge. 

Pretty sure I got the size/volume about right: volume of a cylinder being V=πr^2. I decided 25 cm seems like a good height and 10cm diameter gives just over 2 liters. A bit goes into the electronics and double-walled shell. See - RPGs make you do the maths!

ISS ST-01

Weight: 350 grams empty with charging panel stowed

Height x Diameter: 25cm x 10cm

Price: Cr350

Replacement filters: Cr25 for 5 pack

Device can purify up to 200 liters a day or extract 2 liters of water from the atmosphere in 12 - world hydrospheric value (i.e., a desert planet would be 12 - 0 or 12 hours, Earth at 70% water or so is 12 - 7 ore 5 hours to refill). An extendable multi-spectral solar array can recharge the system in 1d6 hours depending on available solar activity. Batteries will last for 2 weeks before recharging is necessary. Replaceable parts are the biofilters, which last for up to 12 weeks depending on usage and water quality. A double-walled polyplastic shell can handle a large amount of abuse.

Also includes an inertial compass, flashlight and emergency beacon. Usage may impact battery usage.

Civilian versions are available in a wider variety of colors and options.





edit: I actually added a new blog site today. For some reason I randomly clicked one of my latest followers (hey, I am curious about you too!) and liked his blog. So *poof* I added it.

No comments: