Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Traveller Tracker - the rebirth

Having a bit more time on my hands at the moment, I've decided to return to the Traveller Tracker. I've a few long-term goals, but more short-term goals. 

I was going to do this in Net Core, but decided, after messing with a few other .Net platforms (I know, gobbly-gook to non-developers, sorry!) going with a UWP/.Net 7.0 version. UWP = Universal Windows Program. At one time this was so you could run the software on a Windows computer, phone and the X-Box. Pretty sure it is now just Windows, but available in the Windows store. I'll probably never do that, but may be able to release it as a single executable at some point. And yes, Windows only. Unless I have a LOT of demand to see if I should do this in MAUI (also .Net) and it would be available as an Android application as well. See- one way of getting comments and some interactions with my now 22 direct followers and other followers (and thank you for reading my stuff, and hopefully you find it at least occasionally entertaining if not useful).

I took a previous and unfinished core version and converted it to .Net 7 and it now actually compiles and runs again.


The basic "home" page has those 4 options.

  • Ship Listing: gives you the list of your ships and allows you to create new ones.
  • Ship Classes: gives you the list of ship classes and allows you to create new ones.
  • Worlds: your world library. Previously this was loaded from the wonderful TravellerMap using various APIs, and it will probably do the same.
  • Settings: various settings. One of my earlier versions allowed for which version of Traveller you were using for the various generators (Classic, Mongoose) and the era you wanted to use (as the TravellerMap APIs also include the various eras, in case you were unaware of that)
Short-term goals are various cleanups and getting basic functionality, which includes:
  • create and save ship classes (may actually be working)
  • create and save ships (may actually be working)
  • load your universe from the TravellerMap and be able to pick destinations to go to based on your jump drive
I've already done all this in previous versions, and I was particularly proud that you only had to access TravellerMap once per sector: I downloaded & saved off the world info on the local SQlite database. I don't want to overtax the API with the 5 users that may use this software!

Longer term goals are:
  • per ship, track where and when you are
  • buy & sell cargo
    • freight
    • speculative trade
    • passengers
  • track revenue
Yes, I actually had done all this 20+ years ago in Winforms (the old-school Windows UI). I decided I need to get back to something a bit more modern; that and I seem to be unable to load and use that version of the software anymore. I could go spelunking & probably get it working, but, as I am job hunting, figure I can improve my programming prowess. This is also how the original Traveller Tracker was started: got laid off and had time on my hands. History has a way of repeating itself!

If anyone has any specific types of requests for this, please let me know. While I am hoping for a job sooner rather than later, being an older developer means it is that much more difficult to find a job. Though I did have a phone interview today but have no real idea how it went. I much preferred being on her side of the phone versus my side!

and hey - it DOES save off things - added a ship class. For the purposes of this program, a ship class is just the base essentials needed for what I plan to do: jump, maneuver, power, cargo and passenger capacity. 


2 comments:

Baron Greystone said...

Personally I love Traveller programs. I keep threatening to abandon Windows for Linux. Don't know if I'll follow through on that though. I also use Android phones. You might correctly conclude that I wouldn't use a Mac or an iPhone. ;-)

Craig Oliver said...

Last several years I was developing on a Mac for things - I was about the only person in the company that used Windows (though we had a couple gamers). In theory (!) I could write this using another framework, Uno, that in theory would run on Windows, Linux & Macs. I could NOT get that to work and gave up perhaps too soon.

Having some issues with updating the database schema: it is not taking migrations. And I must be having fun as it has been almost 2 hours trying to figure that out.

And yep - I love a few Traveller programs. I still use Heaven & Earth!