Saturday, April 22, 2023

Sharn, Orc potion peddler OSE version, game prep

I forgot I had an Orc potion peddler, and thinking she may be useful as an NPC. I've created her in TFT here so now we just need to figure out how she works for OSE.

Sharn

As per my previous conversions, strength, intelligence, and dexterity are the same in both systems. Having to roll the dice for the remainder, we have:

  • Strength 9 (a bit on the weak side for an Orc, but she is a small Orc)
  • Intelligence 11 (in OSE this makes her literate, however, as her TFT skills do not include that, and as per my character post she is learning to read at Lubok's, she is currently partially literate and knows a few words at most)
  • Wisdom 13, giving her a +1 on magic saves
  • Dexterity 11
  • Constitution 13, +1 on HP rolls
  • Charisma 11 (even after the -2 for being an Orc)

There is not really a potion peddler per se in OSE, and while not all NPCs really need to have a class, I like the NPCs to have at least similar possibilities of growth as the player characters get. Looking through all the classes I do have, it is really the cleric's role that seems to fit this at least in some way,

Rolling my trusty d4, she is a level 2 cleric with 2,000 XP, 10 hit points, carries the holy symbol of Tinma, God of Plants as a necklace around her neck. Her single 1st level spell is detect magic (there are 8 spells, so I just rolled a d8).

Tinma's Holy Symbol

Using an AI art program and asking for an ivy necklace as a holy symbol, I sort of like this one. And for a god of plants, this is pretty good:

Tinma walking through the woods

And we've not really touched on Tinma, the god of plants. Apparently one of the primary gods for female magic users, and I suppose our Orc potion peddler as well. Often Druids are adherents of this god (though now realize my Orc potion mistress could have been a Druid, but I'll stick with the Cleric of Tinma). 

Tinma often uses heralds when communicating with his followers. His usual herald is a 12 foot tall spruce tree festooned with flowers and vines. There are eyes hidden in the leaves, and the roots are quite mobile. For game purposes, it cannot be surprised and has a MA of 14 (TFT) or 70' for OSE. The herald grows out of thin air, and flowers sprout from the ground it walks on.

If a cleric or druid meets with a herald of Tinma, they can ask a boon if they have been strong adherents to his calling. 1d6 for:

  1. grants 1d6 healing potions in the form of a leaf-wrapped root. These will each do 1 point (TFT) or 1d4 (OSE) healing per potion
  2. grants a twig that has 1d6 uses for purifying water when used in a container of water. This will remove any poisons and bacteria making it perfectly safe to drink. The twig will dissolve on its last use
  3. grants 1d6 meals that are completely nutritious and will last for an entire day. These are leaf-wrapped around a nut-based paste that tastes like walnuts
  4. grants the cleric a token that allow them to sense all life within 120' for 1 turn. Simply place the pine needle on their forehead and praise Tinma
  5. grants the cleric a fig leaf that acts as an illusion for the cleric. They can appear however they like for up to 60 minutes
  6. grants a handful of 4-leaf clovers (1d6). Each one may be used to roll with advantage (technically not in TFT but may be used by rolling an extra die and taking either the lowest (for attacking against dexterity) or highest if used for damage. Must declare usage before any attacks or attempts at magic
If the cleric or druid meets with the herald and has broken their vows:
  1. the cleric or druid takes 1d4 of immediate damage
  2. the cleric or druid loses 1 randomly rolled spell they have
  3. the cleric or druid loses 1d4 strength immediately
  4. the cleric or druid is bound to this spot for 1d6 days to contemplate the error of their ways
  5. the cleric or druid is given a task to accomplish to get back into the good graces of Tinma
  6. the cleric or druid and their entire party are attacked by the herald, though the cleric or druid are the primary target
Tinma followers have few real rules they need to follow. They must not hurt living plants: they can only use deadfall for fires, tools and the like. They basically need to celebrate Earth Day every day (today being Earth Day so this worked out well timewise!) They need to pray every 4 days at least. This is a quiet prayer, and if they can sacrifice a small animal at least every 6 days, they are keeping to the faith. Note that this is one of the reasons Tonma, goddess of lesser animals, and Tinma do not get along. While off-spring of Tionma and Blizria, like a lot of siblings they do not get along. 

Higher level clerics or druids may have the holy texts painted on linen. Usually, the cleric or druid will take the flax themselves to make the linen, and the paint is made from berries and inks. These are considered holy and to be respected. 

Holy days are those when the crops are planted and reaped. Celebrants gather under vine-covered arches and give prayer to Tinma. 

Some notes about this post. I did use some AI art generators as I don't need to worry about copyright per se (though there are always questions about where those AI generators got their models from, so technically there could be copyright issues depending on the training sets of art they used) I also uses the Lesser Key to the Celestial Legion for the herald. Just so that I am using things I have bought over the years (though in my search for this volume, I found a lot I've not used. Yet).

And finally - two weeks looking for a job. I do apply a lot, but I fear being older, despite relevant experience, is causing issues. But I am hopeful that something good will unfold and I'll get into a company that respects me. I've even started adding this blog as a URL, along with my Github site, hoping that they will see the creativity I can bring. Software is actually a fairly creative endeavor: there are multiple ways of solving issues, and sometimes thinking outside the box brings in solutions that are better. Probably one of the reasons I had issues with Rails: it is a good framework for getting things done fast up front, but some of its opinions just rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. Guess years of C-based languages with the conventions that went with that background were different enough from the Rails conventions. But I was getting pretty good at Rails despite myself!

No comments: