Friday, December 18, 2020

Tiny magnets

 My gaming scenery showed up from Rampart: I got the Cobalt Factory set and the Kazumi Temple set. Hoping that they can be used for fantasy, SF, steampunk and other games. Once we get back to the table! Decided that I would try magnets rather than use the pegs as it would be easier to put together and break down.  I ordered the appropriate 3x5mm magnets. The picture made them look huge, even knowing that they were tiny. They show up in a little tiny case, 100 magnets. 

I start to put some in, and make sure that I am consistent with the positive and negative sides so things will work. Let us just say between fat fingers and tiny magnets, it has taken a lot more effort to get just a few into where they need to be. Including having to break apart one of the columns (fortunately glue had not set) to reverse the magnets. I think more than once. I need to make sure I stick with a 'perfect' piece and verify that the magnets are appropriately aligned based off of that piece. And hope that piece is set up correctly! It is just a lot more work as these things are tiny!

I did try to mark with a Sharpie, but it got wiped off. I think if I keep them in a stack that may work: just push the end one where it needs to go. While I am sure I'll get better and faster as I go along (and I'll probably have to order more magnets as I have 3 core sets, so there are a LOT of walls). So if anyone has any good ideas about the best way to do this, let me know!

And I think the walls will work better for some things: while Traveller can use a square based floor, the primary fantasy RPG I run is the Fantasy Trip and that uses hexes. These walls I can just plop down on the megahex boards or game mats and should be good to go.

A final thing: this is the 2nd of 3 Kickstarters I've followed for this group. They actually do their own molds and plastic injection, and their updates show the production process. It is really cool to see how these things are actually made.  

Now to get to a table where we can have walls, floors and minis! I miss the face to face gaming a lot.



No comments: