Saturday, December 19, 2020

Lamia's Labyrinth Solo Test Part 4

Knowing what will happen does take away from a bit of the excitement, so I am rolling dice to see what happens to make it a bit more random.

Coming around the curve, the characters see the entrance to a large round room. And here I am testing some walls out (and yes, stacking the magnets means I can remember which way to put them in, and I don't keep dropping them!) These are the Kazumi Temple walls and, while not exactly what I was thinking when designing this, are still temple walls. Like the original Star Trek series, we'll just use different lights to make the walls look like different temples! 


Opening up behind this door (which is really a lot wide - I'll use an archway when we get to playing this for real to make it about the right width) is a large, circular room, dead bodies strewn all over the place.


In the middle is the raised dais and a book on a stand. Knowing what happens, I still roll a die, and the characters decide to look at the 3 open doors first, stepping around the dead bodies. The first door shows the 20x20' room with the skeleton and the wolf-shaped jewel. Some one does try to get the ring, everyone failed to see that it was a zombie ring. The zombie skeleton comes to life! However, it was actually a shorter round than I thought: while only 2 of the 3 characters actually hit it, they have enough weapon strength that they managed to kill it before it could attack. Considering it has a 3d-1 damage for a 2 handed sword, a hit could conceivably kill a character in a single blow. However, as it was rapidly killed, that was never an issue. I am thinking to make this more of a challenge it should have more ST. As the ST is based on how much the wizard put into it, it does allow for a lot stronger creature. I'll update the guide to allow it to be adjusted as necessary based on the party. And yes, that is a Lego zombie: I currently am lacking in zombie minis, though that will be corrected over the next few months as I have 3 mini orders from Kickstarters showing up, and I think they ALL have zombies. So there will be zombies! In the end, they now have the zombie ring and the stone of summoning from that room.

The next room is the room with the 3 caskets, and that is where I ended up stopping the play for the evening. It took longer to get things set up than I would have thought!

But I think I can make a list of the things I'll need to run this adventure so as to not have to bring a pickup full of gaming gear!

First, my dry erase gaming mats work better for some of the rooms, so I think we'll use that this time around. My fishing box for miscellaneous fantasy scenery and the can full of some of the things as well (which is slowly getting added to, but at least I do have 2 caskets though I need 3!). So far a zombie mini and  a giant spider (that plastic one is more the size I think than the ancient D&D metal mini.

So updating the PDF (which I'll link here) in case anyone want to play this as an adventure. The list of things needed will grow as I continue my play test. May even see about breaking it down by room: add an appendix or something perhaps. 

And if anyone does play it, let me know how it worked out! A solo play test is like proof-reading your own writing, or code reviewing your own code: it is not too useful, though better than nothing! May have to see if I can get my work gaming group to perhaps give it a try - we've been playing Zombicide for a while, and a change of pace may be nice.

2 comments:

Alec Semicognito said...

I like the way the Lego zombie seems alien in size, proportion, and colors to the standard FRPG minis.

Craig Oliver said...

I have enough Lego minis for pretty much any game...even some mass combat I fear. That was one of the series that they do via blind bagging. While I've friends who can figure out what is inside by feel, sadly I cannot. So I end up with a lot of duplicates: I think I have 4 or 5 of that particular zombie mini :) I have run one of my Traveller sessions with Lego minis. But I am easily amused.