Saturday, August 08, 2020

Secret Tunnels

 Doing a bit of game prep for the next chapter of Corsairs - Secret Tunnels!  Of course, getting carried away playing with some of the Loresmith tiles. They don't exactly scream steampunk mining operations. However, I am going with some natural cave tiles then there are the wildgrowth tiles which will be the repellium mining areas. Perhaps repellium is that greenish hue before processing.

Of course, the players won't get that exact map - I'll see if I can make a more hand-drawn style, perhaps with some Dwarvish runes, to share with the group. And it may not map 100% correctly despite the Dwarves reputation for engineering prowess in the world of Teboa. 

I'm also backing a Kickstarter for some more tiles for the hex mapping software I have. Not as fancy as Campaign Cartographer, but it does make nice dungeon crawl style maps, or hex crawls really. It is more of an overland style mapping system. I did not follow the 1st Kickstarter but got that package in a Humble Bundle for world building - lots of stuff I need to actually go back & read to hopefully make a better world! As I really enjoy world building :)

It is Secret Tunnels as one of the players is basing his character (very accurately as well!) from a character in the Last Airbender series. I did not realize that until I was re-watching the 1st series to get my son & I back up to speed to be able to watch the 2nd series, Korra. I like to start from the beginning when I can.

The map below probably needs some notes: a couple of sections are probably a LOT longer so this is not entirely to scale. And Corsairs is not a dungeon dive type of RPG, but I will stick a few encounters in there, mostly natural ones but somewhere along the line they will meet up with the miners. 

But it is fun making pretty maps. The tiles are really more oriented to making battle maps. While the squares are pretty standard for most RPGs, I can probably stick a hex layer on top to make it compatible with the Fantasy Trip.

And I've been doing a bit of painting and cheap dungeon crafting. I really want to get back to face to face gaming and move minis on the table and roll dice with friends. Printing up stone walls and wrapping around baking soda and small cans makes for nice turrets or curved walls. Or lay flat for the floor. Most of the stuff is (badly but getting better!) painted by me except for those 4 columns with the torches - those are WizKids pre-painted columns. I seem to be making small scenes at my desk. And huh - seems like cat hair gets everywhere! My cats tend to sit on my desk a lot when I am trying to work. Because cats.




No comments: