Thursday, May 09, 2019

T5 Kickstarter

Kind of going full circle here: when I found the T5 Kickstarter, I jumped in. It was my very first Kickstarter, and no, the first hit was not free!  That lead me to a bunch of things, including rekindling my interest in gaming again, especially Traveller. So I found my old gaming group, who, after 30 years, were still gaming. I've actually been in touch with a couple of my college gaming buddies, but simply by email for the most part. Sadly this group does not play Traveller much, although there is some interest still.

I've gone ahead & joined the T5.10 release Kickstarter, even though I am pretty certain I'll never play it. For me, Traveller is a 2D6 roll over game, and changing that base mechanic to a multiple dice roll under just seems, well wrong. But there is a lot of stuff in there, and the dice mechanics do make some things have a better granularity for percentages. But honestly, you could do the same thing via a d100 roll if you want to get down the percentage points.

And the cards: we'll see how those look. I can make my own cards that fit my universe, but I am interested in the poker deck of cards.

And speaking of cards: the Fantasy Trip card Deck of Destiny is really going well. I'm in at the I Want It All again - spending more money on the Fantasy Trip than Traveller (well, maybe not: there's been quite a bit for Mongoose Traveller: the Great Rift, Element Class Cruisers, and now the JTAS).

And I may be dungeon mastering a short session in June for TFT. Which means I really need to read the rules a bit more, and see about a short adventure. As I've got that really large map of Ankh-Morpork which is a stand in for my Edge City on my maps, I am thinking a sewer crawl.

The characters, after a long overland journey, are left at the gates of the great Edge City, a bulwark against the invading (hmm, invading what? It is on the eastern edge of the continent at the mouth of a river. Invading Vikings? Orcs? What lives to the east that would be invading every few decades?)

At the gate they are met with the city Guards, who can direct them to a jobs house or some good taverns. They've gotten to know each other a little on the way to the city, so hopefully decide to stick together. One of the guards will mention that unless they can pay for hostels, they can't stay in the city unless they are working or can keep themselves solvent. The will mention that there is some pretty easy money for the next sewer sweep.

The sewers are large, megahex wide natural and manmade caverns beneath the city. It is also part of the natural water system, so is not as bad as it could be. However, bandits and creatures sometimes make their homes there, and sporadically the guards organize a sweep. They hire a lot of newcomers and provide some basic weapons should the players not have their own.

I do need to look at the character generation, and keep them a bit poor to begin with. But at least I should be able to use my fantasy coins in a real game.

I'll have to plan a basic dungeon, or try the random dungeon from the box top. I'll try that this weekend to see if that is a viable plan.

I know I've posted this map before, but I need to look at it again and see where I can place a few other things I've got.




No comments: