The new job has been a bit time consuming. Which eats into my mental ability to do much of anything else it seems. It will settle down, it always does.
Last weekend one of the players had car trouble and could not make it, so we ended up playing classic Zombicide instead. I screwed up on the car rules, but we did win (though I feel we cheated).
And I've been playing a couple of other games with my buddy that shows up - while we started with The Fantasy Trip with his kids, teenagers being teenagers and a few other things, meant that they eventually stopped playing. So, we played Zombicide as well and now are moving on through a few of the other games I have for some variety. Which reminds me - need to find a game for tomorrow and get it set up before he shows up. Maybe we'll try Windward this time!
Sadly, not a lot of Traveller things going on for me. While it is my favorite game, I just cannot get a good game going with this group. Part of it is me, but only part of it. I've even stopped working on the software, though I may revisit that again. But as I spend all day right now in software, after hours I need a break. And I am, honestly, depressed by seeing the stuff others are doing over on COTI. Not sure how much of that is AI-driven vs the old-fashioned way of doing it yourself, but regardless it is very impressive.
Which actually does have a Traveller-like connection: over on COTI there are numerous interesting conversations, and one being that a lot of the stuff Travellers do could be automated. My response to that is that it then becomes Passengers. The conceit of Traveller is a pulp-style of science fiction where characters do stuff, not just jump aboard a starship or vehicle and say "go there". I'm re-reading some old Heinlein stories, and Starman Jones is about an astrogator. And their job is all about doing the math to punch it into the computer. I can see this sort of thing as the impetus behind that skill. Yes, computers could do all that. But this is Traveller, a SF RPG for a more pulp-style of science fiction. If I want something to reflect where I think technology is going versus where Traveller had its tech levels, I'd really play something else. And with all the AI now, to be really realistic I fear it would have to be a post-apocalyptic type of game. Or a "utopia" where we don't do anything at all and everything is fully automated.
I'll just leave it with this image I found. And one of the things that does have me worried is people starting to lose the ability to even think anymore. And I hate that Lego added their smart block - can we not just let kids use their imagination? Sorry, old man screaming at the sky I suppose.


1 comment:
Sh*t. You called it.
Post a Comment