Last weekend I finally got to play Windward, a game that I've had for a number of years. We messed up the first round or so, but in the end, it is a relatively simple game. It is just the rules as written are not particularly well-done, even after their 2nd Kickstarter for the expansion and deluxe version. But we had a good bit of fun, and you cannot go wrong with sky whales! But we figured a few things out as we went along, and the next game we'll have a better handle on things.
![]() |
| player board and my hired crew |
And I've been thinking a lot about why I cannot seem to run a good Traveller game with my current group. Probably a primary reason is that they prefer fantasy over SF for the most part. And Traveller runs both a sandbox SF RPG universe but also adds some limits to the style of universe (and this is from conversations on COTI and a few other blogs I've read, so nothing original other than me realizing it!). It wants to do a harder version of pulp-style science fiction: people have to do things, and it is not so much an extrapolation of science and technology in the real world, but one based on the stories of the first half of the 20th century. It came out well before the cyberpunk/AI/transhumanism themes became prevalent in the SF world.
And honestly, I like it that way. Traveller is great for things like early Heinlein, 70s TV shows like Space:1999 and UFO (though I actually have the Space:1999 RPG but doubt I'll ever run it). It cannot run a Star Trek or Star Wars style of game: those have entirely different technological assumption underpinnings. Instantaneous interstellar communication would change a great number of things and break the basic idea of Traveller. Even cheap spaceships would have a huge impact (my pet peeve with Star Wars is everyone seems to be able to afford a starship, they never worry about fuel or life support unless it becomes THE plot point. And even a small single-seater ship is capable of vast interstellar journeys. Without a bathroom).
However, I've been thinking that if I perhaps did an exploratory game instead. I'd limit career options to Scouts, Scientists and military careers, and they would just be the crew of a ship. I'd also reduce fuel usage by 50% and life support as well. That would allow double jumping with the same tankage and not cost so much for life support. Which would not matter much for the players as they would probably be the "boots on the ground" for our planet of the week adventure. Basically, structure it around an episodic TV format. Plus it would allow me to flesh out that section of the D'Arlee Quadrant that has been empty since college! Though I did stick the world of Corsairs there!



1 comment:
There is, of course, the CT adventure Leviathan...
Post a Comment