Sunday, July 09, 2023

Zombicide Writ Large, Android Developer

We played a round of Zombicide this morning. Between a 2nd set of tiles and an expansion, we decided to do a large run from the top of the board to the bottom. Only 1 player character (out of 8 - there were 4 of us playing 2 characters each) managed to barely get out.


We placed a few targets which had the red-level weapons, though we cheated and allowed their use before you get to the red level of experience. As with most Zombicide games, we were really close to at the end then a series of very unfortunate spawnings killed us all. If I had more zombies we may have had more than one survivor. I need to remember to bring spare zombies as I do have a few from various Reaper and Fantasy Series that would work just fine! I've also started painting some of the characters. It is slow going of course! And now wondering if I should paint her skates white along with her apron. Probably will! and then figure something for the base. I just like her as a roller-skating waitress carrying a chain saw seems like a bad idea, but a lot of fun to play!

The Abomination is painted as is one of the new characters I got in an expansion pack. As always, we had a pretty good time even though we all died. Again.

I also am moving forward on the Traveller World Explainer. I've opened a Googe Developer account, and I am working on figuring out the remaining things I need to do to get it there. It will be in test mode, and so far I've only assigned my email as a test account just to see how and if it will work. But I am slowly making progress. I need to also follow up and see if the Windows store has the same sort of thing: I can put it in test mode and only have a few emails with invitations to test it.

That's my immediate goal. Longer term I do really want to get an entire trade tracker back up and running on the two operating systems and integrating with TravellerMap. It would look good on my resume to be published in 2 app stores. Though I don't plan on changing jobs (despite losing the 1 developer who had been there the longest and had the most knowledge. I am still fairly lost in all the systems and how and where they go. Makes me think the computer skill in Traveller is very, very broad and powerful! But as that is a game and not a simulation, all good!) Hoping this job will last until I retire in 6 years. However, I've found that no developer seems to last more than 2 years at this place. And the biggest reason I think is the company itself: it is an actual manufacturing plant. The benefits are wrapped around factory workers, which, coming from a technology worker background, is an entirely different thing. I now know just how spoiled I've been for a lot of things in my working career. Though things are changing as I think the owners are becoming aware that this is really an issue (institutional knowledge is something that cannot be under-estimated!). Hoping I'll last long enough to both get that institutional knowledge and manage to document everything so it is not as crazy as it currently is.

Next post should probably be another Organic Town turn to see how Windemere Crossing is going. I need to actually put some of those details in a better format so they can actually be used. One of these days I'll figure out the best approach is for me! And pretty sure I say that every 5th post or so...I am nothing if not consistent!

No comments: