Sunday, November 08, 2020

Traveller Tracker Again?

 Yep, broke down as I really miss programming in C# and a overly-complicated IDE (Integrated Development Environment) as well as XAML. Nice things about XAML is data-binding is pretty straight-forward. I do need to mess with the Blazor web development as I can actually use XAML to create web pages. In theory...

Regardless. I decided that I can work on the trade part of this as is. So I've added a world button that does absolutely nothing at the moment. The plan is start small: have a place to put in the UWP and start chugging away. First step is to calculate the trade codes as they can all be calculated from the UWP with some exceptions (capitol, puzzles, etc). 

So Visual Studio is up to date, finally got the XAML styler installed so that the code looks better, added the gear icon for the settings (to be defined) layout, and used one of my ISO maps for the world icon.

So not entirely thematically consistent. I may redo the icons (hey, I can be like Microsoft & have an entire release that make the icons all look different. They spend a lot of time working on icons it seems!)


So I do have steps planned. First, get the rules for the trade classifications back in. I've done this more than once. I need to decide if I want to use an external file, JSON perhaps, to hold the rules so that the users can edit them. The idea would be something like:

{

"Asteroid": {

"Size": "0",

"Atmosphere": "0",

"Hydrographics": "0",

"Population": "",

"Government": "",

"Law Level": ""

},

"Desert": {

"Size": "",

"Atmosphere": "23456789",

"Hydrographics": "0",

"Population": "",

"Government": "",

"Law Level": ""

},

"Pre-Agricultural": {

"Size": "",

"Atmosphere": "456789",

"Hydrographics": "45678",

"Population": "48",

"Government": "",

"Law Level": ""

}

}

Pretty straightforward: for a desert world we don't care about anything but the atmosphere & hydrographics: need 0 (or up to 5% depending on your interpretation of how the UWP works) free standing water and an atmosphere 2, 3...9. We can have a trade classification model that can read that and then generate the appropriate tags. I think most people could edit this easily enough if it is an external file. I still may create a table but then I'd need an editor, but the table is pretty much the same as above, just built into the SQLite database this uses. 

Classic Traveller had a table to roll on the actual value based on individual cargos, a d66 list. T5 handles it via a straight +/- Cr1000 based on the trade which is entirely independent of what the cargo actually is. It is based, from what I understand, the old T4 trade rules. The base cost also changes based on the tech level from purchase and selling. And seems...bland. What I'll probably do it have it both ways: have a T5 cargo generator AND a Classic. But as above, probably allow for cargos to be edited by the user, which would also include the base price and the adjustments based on the trade classification.

Or perhaps I am biting off more than I'll actually get done. Again. It all works in my head at least...Pretty sure I'll just start with the Classic approach. Again.

No comments: