Friday, June 07, 2019

T5 - Successfully Funded. Again

The 5.1 version for reprinting the T5 book, now 3 slip cased books, completed with "1,273 backers pledged $166,304 to help bring this project to life." So apparently there is some life left in it In reading a lot of the comments over on COTI, it does seem that there are some major improvements to several parts of things. I did break down and bump up to the Captain Level, $150 for something I will get for free. But I do like physical books, and there are cards that I am hoping, if somewhat not too much, to be actually useful during play.


What I wish is that Marc ran the KS and post-KS process more like Steve Jackson games. Somehow they manage to produce the PDFs and get more eyeballs on them and improve the product. While I realize there would be a lot of noise, I believe it would be very beneficial. And the lack, or at least lack of acknowledging, a true editor is also bothersome. For the amount of money raised, both times, an external editor would have been really nice. As I've mentioned all too often: you can't truly proofread your own stuff as you see what you think is there and not what is really there. In the software world I live in, this is code review.


I am looking forward to this, though. I am hoping I'll be able to run another Traveller game at some point. There are at least a couple of people wanting to play. And I'd love to be able to play - there's at least one player with the Classic books and he could run a game as well.

T5 Kickstarter

3 comments:

Baron Greystone said...

I backed it as well, and will give it a look, but I'm a CT grognard. In the meantime, if you're interested in CT gaming on Roll20, let me know!

Craig Oliver said...

The 1 time I tried to play it was PBP and sort of fizzled out. For me, it was hard to coordinate as people would respond all at different times so the continuity was difficult.

I've yet to try an online version in real time as I really prefer face to face for some reason (despite being the typical introvert, I find the games seem better for the social comradery).

Perhaps I can try a Roll20 version at some point, but at the moment I am GMing the Fantasy Trip and, as this blog can attest, I am one of those over-preparers and cannot seem to get into the MOAR (map only as required) mindset. So my current time is seeing is I *can* try & not overprepare. The dungeon has several "roll on the random table p123" notes on it. Almost like the old patron encounters.

And I probably should see if I can come up with some more interesting Traveller entries.

Baron Greystone said...

I tried PBP myself and decided it wasn't for me. I kind of liked the idea that you could participate as time allows, but it meant that I was always dreading the next "writing assignment," rather than looking forward to role-playing. And yes, players dropped out a lot.

Live online rp'ing has worked out better for me. While there is often player attrition, locating new players isn't too hard. As a GM I spend a lot of time in prep, which is a drawback for my own time-management issues. But as a player I don't see any negatives to online rp. My own pet peeve is players who say they want to play and can meet the scheduling demands, then miss games and finally drop out after I've spent hours getting them prepped.

I'm currently running a CT game online that's lasted for several months. I plan to offer a different scenario altogether when the current adventure is concluded. So my offer to you was a player slot -- no prep required on your part. If you should find the time for a game every other week, let me know.