Tuesday, September 22, 2015

If I were to referee again...

Thinking a  bit more about refereeing a game, and if I can get started, I believe I'll use the following:


  1. Character generation: Mongoose 2nd Edition rules. I've got the beta PDF, and I like the life events and how it adds more background to the characters. In particular, how it can link the characters together before the game begins. No more "You meet in a starport bar...".
  2. Basic task resolution: the 68A rule: 6+ for easy, 8+ for hard, 10+ for difficult. Apply appropriate skill and characteristics bonuses, as well as potentially the boon/bane die depending on circumstances. 
  3. Combat: never my strong point in refereeing games. Use basic task resolution for hitting, and I'll have to dig into the Mongoose rules for combat.  Just remember that combat in Traveller tends towards high fatality rates!
  4. Starships: I have a soft spot for Classic Book 5/High Guard. 
  5. System generation: looking into T5 system generation.
Then I have to decide if I want to play in the OTU or homebrew. If OTU I generally play in the Lorenverse - no assassination, no Virus. Then decide how the Imperium is: Star Wars Empire, late Roman empire barbarians at the gate, bored dilettantes meddling in local affairs.  

No comments: