Sunday, October 23, 2022

A Sunday Post - Killed Off A PC

We were playing the 1 on 1 OSE game, and the player was having a good time. I actually had some NPC personalities going (which is hard for me to do more than 1 at a time and there were 2). We had a brief tavern encounter where they added Pinsmiss Jappet, a Gnome thief. to help break into Pen Caravann's house. He was a tad grumpy, though not as bad as my current Goblin character. Being an older Gnome, his beard was white and his cheerful face hid a larcenous soul.

Pinsmiss Jappet, 3rd Level Gnome Thief

And it is a bit difficult to find a thief Gnome. Regardless, I figured as Gnome in OSE tend to be tinkerers and good with their hands, Pinsmiss took his dexterous talents in a different direction.

They managed to break into the house - I was rolling pretty well for Pinsmiss to pick the lock. They did manage to sneak most of the way up to the 4th floor when they encountered their first guard. Dynin, the player's assassin, missed his roll to assassinate the guard, but actually survived that fight, killing the guard with a single stroke of his dagger (he rolled a 4, and that guard only had 4 hit points). The crew continued up the stairs, and then actually managed to make the hear noise roll (well, one did and that was enough!). There was a guard upstairs outside Penn's door. While waiting, a rat made some noise down in the kitchen. Seeing the light flicker in the stairwell, Dynin tried to hide in the shadows to make another assassin's strike. Sadly, a 1st level assassin only has a 10% chance or so. He failed, and the guard also made a higher initiative. He did manage to kill this guard as well.

Continuing to the 4th floor, Pinsmiss failed the trap check but fortunately, the lock was not trapped. He also barely made the pick lock roll (he is a 3rd level thief so not entirely incompetent). Dynin failed the move silent roll (see - I am not the only one who has bad rolls!) but I gave him an advantage of +2 as the guy was wrapped up in sheets and blankets. A brief fight ensued, and our fledgling assassin managed to terminate his target. 

While Pinsmiss was working on the lock to the upstairs vault where the big treasures were near and dear to the now dead merchant's heart, another guard, hearing the noises, was coming to investigate. Dyunin, flush with his recent victories, tried to hide to strike and kill the guard. Pinsmiss and Jafari held back as this was Dynin's job. He failed to hide, and the guard rolled a better initiative.

The fight was brutal and fast - while Dynin actually hit the guard, the armor deflected the blow (he actually missed and missing someone standing right in front of you - well, anyway, the mechanics of most RPG fights are an abstraction anyway). The 2nd round, the guard killed Dynin with his short sword. Jafari, the other assassin, and Pinsmiss both attacked the guard, and the Gnome made the final strike to kill the guard.

Sadly, out game for that character was all of 2 sessions. And it was a bit difficult for me running as I've not run OSE before. I do like the old-school mechanics, and the fact that it is a pretty lethal game for low-level characters who have no hit point cushion! The player took it in stride though. Our next game will probably be Death Test as we're both familiar with the Fantasy Trip, and that solo game, which I've run by myself a few times, is good for playing without a GM. 

I actually started another post, one for fleshing out the Traveller animal encounters. As normal with me, it kinda went all over the place. Think I'll try and rework that into something a bit less stream of consciousness. 

And hey - I have 20 followers! Thanks for those who follow me (and more thanks for those who comment. I do read the comments, and in fact, that disorganized post is a direct result of some comments (who, when I checked, is either not following or uses a different name). Regardless - thanks. I know I tend to be all over the place for what started as a Traveller blog for my trade software I started (and restarted, and restarted yet again!) decades ago. Figure most gamers tend to play a wide swath of games, so feel that's okay. Though I do notice that the Traveller-centric posts get the most reads. Probably because where others have linked my blog are mostly other Traveller blogs. And I will be doing some Traveller world building even if the next SF game is not Traveller: Traveller is such a great toolbox, and its various tools can be used for any game really.

Jafari, 3rd Level Assassin

End Credit Scene

And post-game, Jafari & Pinsmiss did raid that vault and make a daring escape with several hundred GP. Jafari admitted to the Assassin's Guild leader that Dynin, while making his target, failed in getting out. However, a signal was given to the Cult of Perfection that their days may be numbered. So, the wheels are still in motion as politics are literally cut-throat in my fantasy game!
Treasure! Which only had to be split 2 ways instead of 3!


No comments: