Saturday, March 19, 2022

OSE Adventure 1 WIP

Using the HQ-1 maps from 0-Hr (elevators are stairs now), working on the adventure for a more urban B&E adventure. I even took a piece of shipping paper and hand-drew the map of the house, so that they can plan a bit over that. What I am doing now is seeing about stocking the various rooms. What is nice is that OSE/Necrotic Gnome has some really nice generators to help with creating NPCs and the like. So instant guards and the like.

Below is page 1, basically the player-facing side of things so that they can get the lay of the land and make plans.


The tavern was from the 2 minute tavern PDF I got - that is just so much fun. Of course, I've not decided about the town or city that they are in. It will be larger than Windemere, so I may go about generating a small city or large town next. It would also allow me to plop in a lot of those Philip Reed City Rumors I have as most of them won't work within the context of the fairly small Windemere. And I have so many world building books. I've only done the 1 from Spectacular Settlements so perhaps time to generate a larger town. Then start filling in the shops with Remarkable Shops and taverns with Remarkable Taverns. For me a lot of gaming is just spent playing solo, and while my Traveller Solo game is slowly moving along, I enjoy world building for its own thing. Fortunately the pandemic does seem to be moving into an endemic phase, so we'll see how that works. Pretty sure my Monday night game will never get back to face to face, I'm hopeful for the Sunday group to get back together.

Introductory text:

At the Half Dragon Tavern, a huge, dirty stone-built tavern with a slate roof, the characters are enjoying the Battle Brew next to the dance floor. Knowing its reputation for unscrupulous characters, they are enduring the somewhat hostile barkeep and regulars. This drink, a sour-tasting oily drink that somehow carries a floral aroma, is  oddly quite tasty against the overly sweet sprout tarts. The proprietor Wilma Brommount, drinking her own battle brew from an overly large tankard, sat behind the bar. In the corner, Angry Val yells out for another round, her eyes shifting over the crowd. Wilma hefts a tankard with her meaty arms and drops it, sloshing, on Val’s crusted table. Across the dance floor, a single musician plays a lute, badly strung and out of tune. Her voice does not quite carry the notes but she makes up for it in volume. At a nearby table, a game of shuffle cards is going on, the players intently staring at their hands before sliding the cards across the table.

Unannounced, a large man sits down next to the group. With a wave of his arm, the over-worked waitress brings over another round of the sour drink for everyone. He leans forward, pushing the hood of his cloak back, his long brown hair falling forward. Looking to the left, then to the right, he starts talking.

“You seem to be new in town, travelers. And a right mix you are as well. I have a chance for you to earn a few quick gold if you’re interested. All above ground—no sewers involved.” He chuckles to himself a moment, then waits expectantly for an answer.

“I’m Arm Gloomglade. I’ve a patron who wants something from Gulark Nightspell. Gulark is a tea merchant who has a big, walled estate here in town. He’s willing to pay” and looks at each of the characters, “15 gold apiece to get this book.” A charisma roll may be able to adjust the rate up or down. Assuming the characters say yes, he slides a map of the house to the players. “Here’s the floor plan. We’ve been told by our inside man that the book is on the 3rd floor. Old Gulark is out of town—on a caravan headed along the Ocean Trade route. You’ve got two nights before he gets back with his full complement of guards. Whatever else you may, acquire, is yours to keep. The book is the Fungi of the Far Realms. It has some practical use for my patron.”

 

Hopefully a good start to a game. The next pages start describing the locations and encounters, so I won't share that until after we've played (which honestly not sure when that will be).  just need to make sure this will work for low-level characters - I'd hate to kill them the 1st game we play using OSE. The Fantasy Trip is pretty lethal as well, but they are used to having armor that is a damage soaker vs armor being harder to hit, and full damage when hit.  

You will note that the Ocean Trade route is mentioned, which does go through Windemere. This puts my as yet unnamed city along that route. I'll probably make it east so that I can have the ocean coastline. I've a few ocean supplements that would be fun to use. The Fungi of the Far Realms is an old kickstarter I backed, a nice little hardback book with a d666 list of illustrated mushrooms. I've never really used it other than looking at the pictures. I think the OSE opens up magic a bit differently than the Fantasy Trip, with a lot more options in terms of how magic may work and interact with the players. I may have to start using that as well. 

You may note I also link to a lot of things, mostly Kickstarters, on some of my posts. Mostly because I think you may want to know where I get all my toys, and I also like to promote those who produce these things. Most are small or even individual companies, and I like to promote them when I can. It takes a pretty brave person to put themselves out there like that, something I am not!

And finally, I know it only takes a few minutes to read these posts. And for me, it really generally does not take too long to write them either for the most part. I read a bunch of blogs and I can tell how much work and care some of those creators/authors put into their posts. My blog post stats is my starting point as it lets me know where people come from: usually I start with one, and they have links to others, and I get pulled into that rabbit hole. I know I rarely leave a comment, but for those of you who do write blogs - thanks! There are some fun ideas and thoughts out there.

No comments: